Mercon ATF same as Dexron III?

I was looking to change the fluid in my transfer case soon on my 99 XLT SOHC. The owners manual says use Mercon ATF. The local auto store here only sells Citgo Transguard ATF Dexron III/ Mercon. I am assuming they are the same?

Reply to
Mikepier

Does it need Mercon or Mercon V? Mercon V is different. Mercon IV or earlier is the same as Dexron. Found this out with my auto trannny.

.....Larry

Reply to
Larry

My tranny takes Mercon V, but for the transfer case the owners manual says regular Mercon.

Reply to
Mikepier

Just an FYI

Mercon V was designed to improve friction material stability, prevent torque converter clutch chatter and lower overall operating temperature, including shift temperature.

Ford transmissions that require Mercon V (much like Chrysler and Honda transmissions that require HFM fluid) are part of an integral transmission/transmission fluid calibration package.

The transmission has special friction materials that require Mercon V, while the transfer case apparently does not and only needs Mercon.

Reply to
Fred 2