Is tune-up the same as maintenance?

Pardon me for my dumb question. I used to have my dealer do maintenances for my Camry. Now it's 5 years old, I guess it's better take it to garage shops to save some dough. Workers at Garage shops don't say 'maintenance', instead they ask me when my car had 'tune-up' last time. They tell me a bunch of things they'll do for tune-up, but I can't figure out if it's the same as 'maintenance' that dealers used to do.

Reply to
Avail

=========================== You would have to forward the list of recommended service at the garages. "Tune up" is the older term. Back when ignition points were common, the rubbing block would wear and they would re adjust the point gap, dwell and timing. Tune it up. Also standard spark plugs would erode and replacing them was part of a "tune up." Today ignition components are electronic - solid state, and spark plugs are coated with platinum or iridium which actually do not erode at recommended service intervals so most of the work done on the car is "maintenance" consisting of fluid replacement, checking brake wear, and replacing components at specified intervals. Your owner's manual should have a list.

Reply to
nospampls2002