automatic transmission failure question

I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire automatic transmission? Thanks

One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline preservative?

Reply to
techman41973

It might be a linkage issue, that the prindle has become disconnected from the transmission. If this is the case, you might be able to fiddle with it and find a position on it that will get you into drive.

But yes, for the most part automatic transmissions are sealed boxes that you don't repair, you just replace them as a whole. 280k on a slushbox is pretty good.

If the transmission is bad and it has 280k on it, I would be very surprised if you could sell it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Besides checking what Scott said as far as mechanical linkage goes (when you shift, does the cable on the transmission end shifts too?), you might just want to plug in an oil pressure gauge and read off the line pressure. Not sure if the parts store will have these free loaners, but may be worth a check. Not sure if an engine oil pressure gauge will work (enough adapters and pressure range?)

The problem, I read, is that disintegrating debris plugs up the strainer, and basically starves the transmission of fluid. If that's the case, the ATF line pressure will be way below specs. Then just call up a mechanic willing to put in a low miles salvage transmission that costs < $800 installed, with a 3-month warranty from the junk yard. If that's even worth it.

That's why later Honda retrofitted and added a transmission inline filter. And a reason I think a remote filter would help earlier in these cases:

I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from

Reply to
johngdole

Ditto. 280K miles (?) is actually pretty good. Honda's automatics are said to be as mediocre as Hyundai transmissions as far as reliability goes I read somewhere.

Reply to
johngdole

Start with this. Drain the trans fluid and change the filter. If that doesn't do it, go to a bone yard and swap transmissions. But again change fluid and filter on that one before driving.

Reply to
krp

it's not a "slushbox". it's an electronically controlled automatic, and a highly advanced piece of engineering.

no, he needs proper diagnosis. honda autos usually last pretty well. he may have something trivial like a driveshaft disengaged.

Reply to
jim beam

Sounds like he might luck out with just a normal fluid change and new trans filter. Not big bucks. Most shops will do it for around $100.

Reply to
krp

Unlikely. Even if it was something simple, at 280k on an automatic transaxle you are on borrowed time anyway.

If the rest of the car is pretty nice(Paint, interior, engine runs good and has been maintained) then I'd go get a used junkyard transaxle with a 90 day warranty and put that in the car and keep driving. Even if you had to pay a shop to install the used transaxle it would still be cheaper than having your current box rebuilt.

A 1997 PaidFor in good running condition beats the hell out of a new car in my book.....

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

but it's a honda. what he doesn't say though is whether it was a v6 - those had serious issues.

better yet, buy a low mileage used jdm transmission from japan.

definitely.

Reply to
jim beam

I do it myself for ~$35...not including 6-pack.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS:

it better be cheeper than that as the honda has a drain plug and no replaceable filter. Just did it on my son inlaws 98 accord. KB

Reply to
Kevin

He doesn't sound like he'd be capable of doing that. Most likely it is either low on fluid or It has 300K on an original filter. Seen that lots before. Change the fluid AND filter and they run another 200K. Could be he ran it for 150K and never looked at the trans stick to see if there was ANY fluid in it.

Reply to
krp

wasting money on oil without a proper diagnosis is ridiculous.

Reply to
jim beam

There's no replaceable filter on a '97 Honda Automatic, just a drain plug.

Reply to
E. Meyer

It sounds like you're not familiar with Honda Automatics of that generation.

There is no filter, no pan, just a drain plug. Its easier than changing the oil. The main thing is that you have to use Honda ATF if you want it to work at all and Honda explicitly warns against power flushing them.

The first question I would ask is whether any of these guys quoting $2000 transmission replacements even looked at the fluid level first.

Reply to
E. Meyer

No, Honda automatics do *not* have have replaceable strainers that you just replace "after dropping the pan".

The transmission case is basically two halves of an egg shell, and requires major work just to replace the strainer. That's why Honda added an external one, a cheaper version of Magnafine:

2.jcw

Or you can go to your H>     Sounds like he might luck out with just a normal fluid change and new

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole

Maybe but it is the cheapest place to start.

Reply to
krp

I may be mistaken, I thought it had a filter. I wonder if HE checked the trans stick???

Reply to
krp

eh? diagnosis is the cheapest place to start...

Reply to
jim beam