Camero oil pressure gauge

My daughter has an eighties vintage Camero. The oil pressure light is staying on, but she says the car also has a gauge, and the gauge is showing reasonable pressure. We are surprised that it has both. She thinks maybe the light is for an oil level sensor but I doubt this- those are usually pretty pricey and on luxury cars.

We are also trying to figure out if the pressure gauge is mechanical or electrical. The engine is mostly buried under the cowl and firewall and the bottom of the dash is not easy to see under. Anyone know if that gauge is mechanical or not?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the gauge were mechanical. Newest vehicle on which I've seen a mechanical gauge (other than aftermarket) was my dad's '73 Chevy pickup. My guess is that either the warning light sender has failed, or else the wire to it is chafed and shorted to ground. Wouldn't hurt to throw a mechanical pressure gauge on there just to make sure before she drives it any more, however.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Go to your local library and see if they have service manuals that cover your car. Our library has loads of manuals.

Reply to
Woody

It is a simple oil pressure switch for an idiot light. The idea is that a bright red light is more noticeable than a too low analog gauge.

It is very common for cars with gauges to also have idiot lights.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Just one pissy comment, Don. That is a Camaro, not a Camero.

Reply to
HLS

"Don Stauffer in Minnesota" wrote

V8 with a carburetor? It may be like other 80's era Chevys that also use the oil light as a warning that the electric choke coil heater on the carb isn't working properly. Check the rear of the engine, on the driver's side, beside the distributor. The switch for the light should be there, pointing straight up. If it has 2 terminals, it's the choke type, so check the side of the carb and make sure the wire to the choke coil heater (looks like a small black hockey puck) is plugged in securely, and that the choke opens all the way after the car has been running a while.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

N8N wrote in news:4c3c1e3f-d43d-40ac-919e- snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

that would be a elect gauge. KB