Oil Pressure gauge?

I noticed my 2001 Forester does not have an oil pressure gauge. I checked the subaru website and they offer a gauge kit for about $200 that adds vacuum, volgate, and oil temperature. But still no oil pressure.

Do any of the Subarus have oil pressure gauges, or is there an aftermarket one I can add? I'm not even sure of the value of oil temperature or vacuum?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

No Subaru comes equipped with an oil pressure gauge, and there are no optional factory ones. If you really want one you'll have to go aftermarket, there are plenty of them available. Just be sure to get an electrical gauge and not a mechanical one, because the mechanical type requires a line bringing hot pressurized oil into the car for the gauge. An electrical one has a sending unit on the engine and ony requires wiring back into the car. The oil temperature gauge is useful as an indication of when the engine is actually warmed up, as the coolant temp gauge is not a reliable way to tell. The coolant temp usually comes up to normal after only a short distance following a cold start, but the oil temp lags behind considerably.

Reply to
mulder

I wish Subaru did have an oil pressure gauge. My previous cars had a pressure gauge and it served several purposes. Not only does it show a pressure drop (engine warmed up), but it also tell me if I am over heating the oil as when pulling a trailer. When I get used to the oil pressure running a certain temp when crusing it will give some indication when the oil is getting low because there is less oil for cooling and the oil temp increases.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My Impreza WRX has (standard, Subaru) oil pressure gauge with oil temp. and turbo pressure gauge - it exists as an option but may be only for Impreza.

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Jiøí Lejsek

Hi,

All of the earlier Subies I recall from mid-'80s thru early '90s or so came w/ a factory oil pressure gauge. When did that change?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright