Dodge Neon parts interchangeability

Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a 1999 Dodge Neon 4 door sedan parked at my house. Basically, the car was T-boned in a wreck and has bad body damange. But the motor and transmission are still good, and the other components are apparently functioning.

I was looking to buy another car, and I was thinking that it would make a lot of sense to just purchase another Dodge Neon, since I already have this other junked car here to use for parts. This way I can save on money since I won't have to spend as much money at the auto parts store for replacement parts. But I have a question I'd like to ask:

What other years of Dodge Neons have interchangeability with this car? From what the little bit I've read online, the Neon's made between 1995-1999 pretty much have complete interchangeability of motor and body components, while the Neons manufactured in 2000 and beyond won't likely match up in that regard.

Also, it's my understanding that there are two different types of motors for the Neons manufactured between 1995-1999. I've read that the different types of motors are both 4 cylinder, but there is some kind of difference. So if I pick up a Neon that has a motor which doesn't exactly match the one that's in my '99, does that mean that other parts such as say the power steering pump or water pump won't likely match up? Is there a different type of motor that is in the 4 door sedans than what is in the 2 door coupe?

I'm just curious about this because I'd just like to know what I should be on the look-out for when choosing a Dodge Neon that will have complete motor parts interchangeability with the junked neon I have at the house. I hope that someone who is more familiar with these kind of cars that myself can provide some good advice or answers to my questions.

thanks, tysteel

email:

tysteel5000 @ aol.com

Reply to