How to Check Ignition Timing 96 Subaru 4 cyl ?

My friend had the timing belt replaced recently in his 95 Subaru Outback Legacy with 2.2 Liter 5 speed. He noticed a slight decrease in power at the low end of the RPM's, but no loss at he upper end of the RPM band. Is there a way to check / adjust / set the timing? Could the timing have been retarded when the new belt went in? His MPG is way down too. He says he thinks he is only getting 10 mpg sometimes. It runs OK, idles OK, just has power loss and poor mpg since the new belt

went in.

Again, Is there a way to check / adjust / set the ignition timing, the way you can with a timing light, on 80's cars ?

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

Having the ignition timing off by a bit isn't going to cut your mileage down by 66%. Your friend has another problem . My SWAG is one or both of the cams are out of time . Check your cam timing first . These things will mask a mechanical fault through the computer . Will

Reply to
will350

Having the ignition timing off by a bit isn't going to cut your mileage down by 66%. Your friend has another problem . My SWAG is one or both of the cams are out of time . Check your cam timing first . These things will mask a mechanical fault through the computer . Will

Reply to
will350

There isn't any way to vary the cam timing other than moving either timing belt one cog tooth at a time.

The Subaru engine has two timing belts, one for each bank/cam. I would suspect that one of these belts is off by one gear cog.

I doubt this could be confirmed without removing the timing belt shrouds and checking the timing marks in the cam pulleys with the crank reference marks. In other words, go back through the whole belt change process.

The Subaru 2.2L engine is of a great design and highly desirable for other purposes. I have one that I'm going to put in a VW Vanagon. Many have been use in the older VW Buses. My son is considering one in his 912 Porsche.

Reply to
Steve

OPP!

I spoke without checking my reference book..

You should be able to check the timing and correct installation of the timing belt by removing the plastic belt shrouds. There is an alignment mark at the top of each back shroud that should correspond with the cam gear marks. The crank gear mark is on the back flange of that sprocket. (not on the belt pulley, as on most engines).

This belt installation is more complex than most since there are 4 cam pulleys. I recommend getting a good manual, if you don't have one already.. (The 2.5L is different from the 2.2L) My Haynes covers both very well.

Sorry I miss spoke in my first post.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

OPPs! Again.

I should have mentioned that there is actually only one timing belt (not two as I stated in my first post)

Sorry again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve