I love ignorant people

A lady comes in to our store to get an oil filter. She mentions that she just came from Advance and they were out of it, so like most people they come to our store (A real auto parts store) as a second choice.. I look up the filter and we have it in stock. She asks what brand do we carry and I tell her Hastings brand. She calls her husband up and asks him if it's ok to get the filter, and he tells her no.. WTF?? They'd rather have a cheap ass filter from Advance than a good name brand?????

Reply to
m6onz5a

A British co-worker once told me that "it's not what you are that makes the difference; it is what you are perceived to be". People see Fram on the shelves at Walmart, and they see Fram advertised. Maybe Hastings needs to make itself better known.

Reply to
hls

The Orange-Colored Filters have much better name recognition.

Now if she'd ask "do you have Wix" then I'd think maybe her husband knew what he was talking about

nate

(like the Orange-Colored Filters almost as much as the Orange-Colored Home Improvement Emporium)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are Wix oil filters good?

Nothing wrong with being ignorant, that can be fixed.

I may be dumb, but I aint stupid! ~ Goober, the Andy Griffith show.

You Can't Fix Stupid! ~ Jim White, former KMOX Saint Louis radio talk show host. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have never been anywhere that hastings was one of the recognized brands outside the professional service arena. It is one of the better less known products and they seem happy to keep the secret within the jobber market.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Wix is a good filter.

That is the problem with Hastings.. When was the last time you saw a commercial from them??

Reply to
m6onz5a

I remember way, way back in the day (late 90's) a display on the counter of my local FLAPS with a cut apart Wix filter and a cut apart orange filter. I thought that that was quite effective, although one would have to actually go into the store to see it (and it likely wouldn't reach the people who go to Autozone or Pep Boys first)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Wix filters always get good ratings from Consumer Reports and independant tests.

And if you live near a CarQuest, their own brand is made by Wix.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Any filter that has a picture of someone looking like a convict breaking out of jail is off my list!

I always figured Hastings to be for large truck/equipment.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hastings have filters for every application. IMO Hastings & Wix are the better filters out there.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Ignorant is the way to be in the United States. I think its due to estrogen mimics in the water supply.

Reply to
Paul

Estrogen and many other things are in our drinking water nowadays.I reckon the water treatment plants can't filter out all of that crap. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Advance sells many brands. Which one are you talking about?

The store brand (same as Purolator Premium) is kind of crappy. They always leak a little around the gasket. Fram works very well for me.

Reply to
Bob Jones

They seem to be happy making less money too ;-)

Reply to
Bob Jones

I have no idea I don't shop there.

Reply to
m6onz5a

We have one of those displays. It has Fram, Wix, and Hastings all cut open... Even the Wix filter looks a bit cheaper than the Hastings one.

Fram filters I wouldn't put on my car. They have cardboard in them.

Reply to
m6onz5a

So who is the ignorant one in your tale?

Reply to
jim

jim wrote in news:mM-dnUhWm_gCgzjWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Do you work at Advance or for Fram?

(you get a choice of *one* of the above),

Reply to
fred

"Bob Jones" wrote in news:4ba513bb$0$13659$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

And not being forced to produce upteen thousands of filters per month by a set date with the same quality. Hardly a trivial task. Henry Ford figured that out last century. Rent "Tommy Boy" sometime if you want a slightly different version of the explanation.

Reply to
fred

How good is Hastings? I can't find any recent test report, but in one done 23 years ago by Consumer Reports, Hastings was dead last, removing < 50% of the 20- or 25-micron particles in a single-pass, compared to about 75% for the average filter and 88% for the best performers (Fram Extra Guard, Lee Maxifilter). It's possible the Hastings tested was a depth filter (wad of cotton) rather than a pleated one.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly