Nissan Sentra 04, cluster replacement (old one broke)

Good day, I have a peculiar issue with my Sentra's gauge cluster. While I was trying to put a white face mask on my gauges, I mistakenly pulled out the gas needle. I have made several attemps to make it mark the correct gas level, but it just goes crazy. When I fill up the tank, the needle goes down, then next time I turn it on, it goes beyond the "F" at the top... then it'll just stay there... by the end of the week, when gas has been consumed substantially, the needle goes below half tanks and to empty right before the empty tank light turns on.

This is very anoying, so I whent to the dealer to figure it out. An electromechaninc said the coil was probably busted from so much pulling and pushing and turning and whatever.... The thing is that a new cluster would cost me right over the $500 dollar mark. That's too much money, so I bought a second hand one on eBay for $60. As I was reading through some things, then it just hit me that I had not given any though to the Odometer, I was only thinking on getting that darn gas gauge fixed once and for good. Since you seem to be experts in this subject, I want to ask you:

  1. Where does the Nissan Sentra 04 record its miles? on the cluster or the car's computer?
  2. If I change the cluster, and the miles are not my car's real miles, then how can I re-set it to my original miles?
  3. If I install this cluster, will it do anything to my computer...?

Ohh, also, the Odometer is digital (on both clusters) and I had not noticed this till now, the new cluster is in miles and my old cluster is in kilometers.... What efect would this have on the Odometer?

I appreciate your help on this matter... please help me figure this out! I don't want to jump and change the clusters without being fully aware of the consecuences!

Cheers, George

Reply to
geooorge