Panel vent not working?

Got a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan ... yesterday, air stopped coming through the panel vent ... it worked fine one minute, next time we cranked the van up it stopped working ... the blower is working, air (heat, A/C, vent air) is coming through all other settings (floor, hi/lo/defrost) and through these little side vents on each side of the dash, but nothing when you have it set on panel. Any idea what might be going on here?

Reply to
Greg Bailey

Vacuum motor failed. Foreign object blocking panel vent passage or mode door.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Following up on this, with (a.) some additional info my wife provided since she was the one driving the van when this happened and (b.) some clarification since I just got back from driving van to church:

  1. When it's on the panel setting, cold air is coming out the floor vents. It's like it's stuck on floor. The air is plenty cold on the floor, BTW, so I don't think this is an issue with the A/C compressor. And heat is coming out when I switch it to heat, the air is plenty hot on the floor, so I don't think it's an actual heating issue. Same with the defrost setting, cold air and hot air both coming out depending on which I have turned on. We're only talking the panel setting.

  1. This apparently happend spontaneously, the panel vent was working when she shut the car off when she got to one place she was going. When she got back into the van headed home and turned the a/c on, the panel vent was no longer working. I asked my wife if she'd hit any bumps, done anything with the buttons, heard anything unusual, she said no.

  2. When it's on "hi/lo" setting, no air is coming out the panel vents, just the floor.

  1. As I said, there are two little vents on opposite ends of the dash where air comes out, those are working. However, on this particular van there are two other little vents right underneath the steering wheel that blow on the driver. They are not working.

Does this narrow things down any more or are we still looking at both possibilities? I posted thinking there might be something I could do to this today, looks like I"m going to be at my mechanic's in the a.m., though.

Thanks!

Reply to
Greg Bailey