Re: wrong type of grease for wheel bearings?

You torqued the conical bearings too much...

"llama" escribió en el mensaje news:ouiRa.16059$o54.7397@lakeread05...

hello, > I repacked my front wheel bearings recently. I noticed > that they wheels did not spin as freely as before. I think > it is because I used thicker grease than was on there since > the nuts are not torqued on too tight. Looking on the > can of grease, it says it is "heavy duty wheel bearing grease" > and "not for use with disc brakes". I have disc brakes on > the front of my 93 ford ranger. Is this going to cause > overheating or some other kind of bearing failure? Should > I repack the bearings with "normal" grease? > > thanks, > andrew >
Reply to
oldtoyotafan

Sounds like a low heat grease. Get it out of there and use the proper stuff. You may have over torqued the bearings also.

Reply to
p¶yats " @tex¶as.netÙ

There is a grease that is specified for Ford disc brakes. It is usually printed on the container. Also, make sure you follow the Ford specified procedure for installation and tightening of the bearing nuts.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart