Wheel bearings?

Hi all,

'96/'97 300 Tdi Discovery 3 door. Have to tighten the front wheel bearings up. I have the requisite hub box-spanner. Am I right in thinking that basically you take the wheel off, undo the hub cap 5 bolts, remove cap loosen lock nut, tighten bearing nu, re-apply locknut, check wheel bearing slack/tight, re-assemble?

Anything I need to look out for, replace anyway, anything[1] likely to screw it all up?

[1] I will be mostly using a garden pop-up gazebo to offset the precipitation.
Reply to
Paul - xxx

There's a big tab washer between the nuts, depending how much use it's had in the past you may or may not be able to reuse it. New driving member gasket is pennies and worthwhile, or use goo. Have plenty of swarfega to hand, its a messy job.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

It's a 'trial and error' job getting the adjustment right. Don't lock the tab washer until the outer nut has been fully tightened as the tightening tends to upset the perfect setting that you thought that you'd achieved.

Reply to
Dougal

Cheers both of you ... I'd forgotten about the tab washer, thanks. Think I'll use gasket cement as I have loads ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Not with a dial gauge.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Since the thread is a form of vernier adjustment it should be possible to set the end float by backing off the nut from 'nip' by a predetermined amount.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do I remember you tighten them to finger tight then back off a quarter turn? I'm sure they should have a tiny bit of play in them otherwise they get too tight when hot. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

That's all fine until you tighten the outer nut - as there's usually axial play on the threads the tightening of the outer nut stuffs all your nicely set up adjustment. Try it!

Reply to
Dougal

I did, both of my hubs on the 101 yesterday, with the gauge monitoring the movement as I locked the nuts and drove the locking tabs - less than 3 minutes a piece. Now, if only someone can tell me how you get the ^%£%£&£* brake shoes on PAST the hubs, I'd really appreciate it !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

That's how I did it and it's fine when nipped up. I did try 'measuring' it acurately, but tbh the play that the lacknut, despite the tab washer, takes up knocks it out somewhat> A case of rule of thumb working very well.

Reply to
Paul - xxx