Resetting computer on 1999 Chevy S-10

I was wondering if there is a way to reset the computer on a 1999 Chevy S-10 4 cyl. beside disconnecting the battery?? And if the battery is the only way, how long should one leave it disconnected?

Reply to
Bud Burner

"Bud Burner" wrote

You cannot even reset (clear the codes, I'm assuming you mean) the computer that way. You need a scan tool to clear the codes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I think they will generally reset eventually, except it may take a while, half hour or more.

Anyway, if you've got the Check Engine light on, and you fixed it, it should go out in a few trips, assuming the problem isn't there anymore.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

"Robert Hancock" wrote

They (codes) will all go away eventually. Often it takes 100's of drive cycles....depending on what history code it is. But you can't reset anything by disconnecting the battery. Perhaps your radio...but even they have keep alive memories these days.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I will swear the check engine light went out when i changed my battery on my 96 S10. Now code memory in the computer is another issue.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

"BOB URZ" wrote

It seems that a lot of people think that disconnecting the battery will turn the check engine light off. According to the manual, only the scan tool and/or 40 drive cycles (with the problem not present) does it. Some codes will not set on the first few drive cycles, even with a "present" problem. So it may be possible that the drive cycle indicator gets reset, the light goes out until a few drive cycles have occurred. It's hard to know as you didn't say what the check engine light was for before you pulled the battery cable.

There are many different types of codes and they all have different ways of being set, and different ways of being turned off. Obviously, clearing a hard code even with the scan tool doesn't work as long as the problem is still present.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Did a little more checking today....seems that I'm not correct with regard to disconnecting the battery. Up until around 99, you can still clear a lot of info from the PCM/ECM by disconnecting the battery. It all depends on the class of code we are talking about, I guess.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai