Steering pump noisy and leaking

A mechanic told me my steering pump is noisy, that there is a leak and that the steering liquid level is low. I checked the level, and it's between "Min" and "Max". Is not it contradictory?

I have to go face the mechanic on Thursday. What cost can I expect? And what questions should I ask him? Thanks.

Reply to
mikesmith9999

For now I put some "Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak". Can it fix the problem?

Reply to
mikesmith9999

What car?

Can you hear the pump whining when you turn the wheel? Or worse, when the engine's idling?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

It's a 1995 Toyota Tercel. I turned the wheel at idle. It does some noise....

Reply to
mikesmith9999

Which is normal, because when you turn the wheel at idle when the car is stationary, the pump has to work to help you turn the wheel. How many miles are on your vehicle?

Have you seen evidence of a leak on the ground below the car? Any of the power steering lines look damp? How about the ends of the steering rack? If you don't see a leak, and you know the fluid is between min and max, and if you keep an eye on for the next week or so and it does not go down....well, find a new mechanic.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I'll test that out tomorrow. The sound is not when I turn the wheel, but as soon as I stopped, and keep it turned. Not a loud or annoying sound, though.

Reply to
mikesmith9999

Not if he topped it off recently.

That depends entirely on what kind of car it is. When did you last do a fluid change?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That depends entirely what the problem is. It's apt to cause more trouble in the long run because it works by softening seals.... which will lead to earlier failure of the seals in the rack. And you do not want to have to be changing the rack, trust me.

If the problem isn't a seal but the pump is leaking around the bearing or something, the stop leak will do nothing good at all and only bad things.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah, that's putting a strain on the pump. Most PS pumps do make a noise at full lock, because it's like trying to push something past a stop. If this is the only noise there is, you're OK. Like we said in the other group, check the level and follow the hoses for leaks.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B