Re: noisy power steering = pump bad?

My old Buick V6 motor was worn out. I found one with low

>miles at a breaker's yard, and he swapped it. All is >fine, except when I start from cold, the steering makes >a rasping sound. I dies out after five minutes. I am >guessing that the power steering pump on tne "new" motor >is fuggered. >It looks like they put new fluid in the power steering, >new coolant, even new engine oil when doing the installation. >They seemed to be competent chaps.

There are additives that may quiet it. The new fluid is likely the cause of the noise especially if an unspecified fluid was used. Many shops use an off-the-shelf fluid which may or may not meet vehicle manufacturer's specs. You can buy a GM spec fluid but, I have always had good luck in GM's with Dexron transmission fluid even though this may not be spec'd for your system. Lastly, since it gets quiet after a few minutes of warmup, it may become quieter all the time after it is driven a while. Changes in sound are common after fluid changes in power steering, transmissions or any other hydraulic system. I would give it a pass for a while to see what happens.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I used Dexron in my low mileage (at the time) 89 Regal, mainly because I didnt read the owners manual. Soon after that, I had to replace the high pressure hose and the power steering pump.

Dont know if I worsened the problem, or if it were on death's door anyway when I had to add a little fluid. Since then, if it doesnt specifically say ATF, then I use the specked power steering fluid.

Reply to
hls

If you know the correct spec and the fluid is available, that is the unquestionable best way to go. In my ford systems that spec mercon ???, I have found that 2 oz of Lubegard Red quiets them right down. The whine is usually related to aereation of the fluid resulting in regulator valve chatter. Once the fluid is prevented from aereating, the noise usually goes away. Ford has a special procedure and tool to handle the problem by placing a vacuum on the system to withdraw any air as the system is filled. Doesn't always work or last if there is a pinhole leak somewhere in the system or a porous line somewhere. The best answer I have seen is some fluid or additive that prevents aereation of the fluid. I extreme cases, it has been known to cause overflow of the reservoir onto the exhaust manifold where it ignited. If there is evidence of fluid escaping from the reservoir, the problem should be addressed immediately.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut