2001 Eclipse - noisy power steering pump?

It seems this is a common issue - at startup, the car makes a groaning sound during low-speed turns. It usually goes away once the car is warm. The fluid has always been filled to the MAX mark. The belts are also very prone to squealing, which I suspect may be due to the psp.

I have read several things about it - that there is no cure, check fluid level, change fluid, etc. I also found a TSB from 1 Feb 2001 titled "Subject regarding power steering pump replacement", but don't have the text.

I would appreciate any pointers to good information about the problem. If I take off the belt, is there any way to try and figure which pulley is not operating correctly?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

power steering fluid?

Reply to
Redmuss

Like I said, it's always been at the MAX mark.

I will try using a turkey baster to trade out the old stuff for new stuff.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Check that the cracnk pulley is not separating.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS