steering wheel puller? (04 Cavalier)

('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.

The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate. GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...

... $80!

If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant to hammer on the steering shaft.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

If you have the normal style puller just take a couple bolts and grind the heads down into a double D shape that will slide into the holes, turn 90 degrees and lock in.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you don't care about originality, just run a new wire to the horn and screw a $5 "horn button" from the auto parts store to the dash somewhere.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Just FYI, I tried that. It's a nice idea, but didn't work for me. The (3/8" grade 5) bolts I used, bent. Maybe grade 8 would have been better. Or something. Happily, it turns out I didn't need to get the wheel off anyway: I tried just putting it back together, with the horn wired locked back in its little tube, and the horn worked.

... At least for the moment, and long enough to get through inspections.

George

Funny steeringwheel pull story. 23 yrs ago my cousin and I had to pull one from my '81 Buick Century to replace the directional switch I somehow broke and it was limp.

He pulled so hard both he and the wheel came out so quick he BROKE THE SEAT BACK OFF THE FUGGIN DRIVERSEAT!!!

So now I needed a new back for the vinyl split front bench in addition to replacing the turn stalk. lmfao...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Normally you tighten down the bolts, then use a chunk of wood on the shaft and hit that with a hammer to break the wheel loose. If you try just pulling with the puller you almost guarantee bending/breaking something. Those splines are slightly tapered so they really wedge in. Usually a couple good hits and they will pop free.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve W:

thekmanrocks