water filter for washing car?

I know this sounds crazy but I am wanting to experiment with a filter and h ousing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purpos e would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry t hem. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, dr ying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely care ful.

Is there a filter or housing you recommend? Is it possible to mount a filte r housing outside even in freezing weather?

Reply to
stryped1

Is your water well water or city water? How hard is it?

Yeah, but you need to drain the whole system in the fall before it gets cold. And you need to remember to do it every year.

Griot's Garage has a water filter kit, I know. If your problem is hard water and not sediment, a water softener will be necessary. You can probably get a small volume kit at a good hardware store.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It is city wter. Mainly hard water. I actually do not think it is bad but it does leave water spots. I have heard of people using resin type filters that has media that is rechargeable.

I just need to save time and do a better job.

Reply to
stryped1

Water spots are a result of dissolved minerals in the water. No filter's going to help.

Reply to
Alan Baker

The idea is that the water softening system (which they call a filter even though it really isn't) replaces one set of dissolved minerals for another set that leaves less annoying residue.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Here you go.

Reply to
T0m $herman

+1.
Reply to
jim beam

Google research "reverse osmosis" filter system. It will remove nearly everything.

3 gallons tap water = 1 gallon purified.

I suppose you could use it outside in freezing weather as long as you keep it always heated. Frozen water expands and destroys things.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

i can't believe this thread's for real. just wipe the freakin' car down with a chamois. that's what they're for. if you even care.

Reply to
jim beam

Well, its a fun thread ruminating about nothing serious.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Drying takes time and I have a new vehicle. Over time you can get spider web scratches so I was trying to think of a way to keep a vehicle clean by touching it as little as possible.

Reply to
stryped1

you have a point - we're not trying to use toilet plumbing as an illustrative analogy for an induction motor.

Reply to
jim beam

you don't get those from drying, you get those from washing. wash from the top down - only. you'll always see people wash a quarter, then move on to the next section. problem is, the lower part of the car is covered in grit so their wash cloth takes grit from a lower section to an upper more visible section and causes the scratching. if you start at the top, then windows, then hood, then upper doors and trunk, then lower doors and fenders, cloth contamination remains limited to whatever is already present in that location.

then hose and wipe, same sequence.

you'll never eliminate grit if you drive a car on the road, but you can mitigate it. always use a new/laundered cloth. squeezing it and letting it dry just retains the grit.

and don't wash so often. each time you wash, you grit.

just get one in a different color that doesn't show as much. seriously, constant cleaning causes paint problems. it's a soft polymer that can't take constant abrasion.

Reply to
jim beam

housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The purp ose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Also, drying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely ca reful.

ter housing outside even in freezing weather?

I drive alot though and wash my car every week. I do wash it from the top d own and launder the mash cloth.

Like I said drying adds another step of rubbing to it I was hoping to avoid .

Reply to
stryped1

when the car's already clean and you're using a clean cloth, drying is not scratching your car.

Reply to
jim beam

ote:

and housing to use attached to my spigot outside my pole barn garage. The p urpose would be to wash my cars so there are no water spots and no need to dry them. I have three vehicles and it takes alot of time to wash them. Als o, drying over time can leave spider web scratches if you are not extremely careful.

ith a sprayer of some type with a soap dispenser built into it?