Windshield chip too small to repair?

I have a really tiny chip in my windshield. My insurance company sent someone out to fix it, but he said it was too small to repair. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but the chip is located right in the middle of my field of vision, so it's very distracting. The repair guy said that there is nothing I can do about it, but I wanted to get a second opinion. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Reply to
Timur Tabi

Mike Walsh

LOL

A small chip can grow over time due to propagation caused by thermal changes or subequent shock.

Have you asked the opinion of someone like Autoglass - they usually can fill anything.

Reply to
Mortimer

Change insurance companies. Yours obviously sucks.

A noticable chip in your field of vision is an inspection failure in many states.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have one like that, but even a do it yourself attempt to fill it may improve the problem.

Reply to
HLS

Call the insurance company back and tell them they weren't able to fix it so the windshield needs to be replaced. If te chip is in you line of vision they shouldn't have any problem with that.

If they do have a problem with it whack it with a hammer and tell them a rock hit it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Call your insurance company and tell them that you want the glass replaced with factory glass because your are very concerned about safety and feel that the glass is compromised.

Reply to
John S.

Call your insurance company and tell them that you want the glass replaced with factory glass because your are very concerned about safety and feel that the glass is compromised.

You should know, as well as I do, that insurance companies dont really GAS about your concerns. If there is proven damage, then they MIGHT pay without making a federal case of it.

Jump the insurance company if you wish, but do not be surprised if they give you the single finger salute.

Reply to
HLS

The damage is there and it is "proven". I've had completely different reactions from companies like State Farm, Allstate, etc. I've found that all you have to do is ask and be politely persistent at times.

Reply to
John S.

Perhaps, John. If this peck is small, I would be surprised if an insurance company will give any satisfaction.

If the OP tries it and is successful, maybe he will post his experience for us.

Reply to
HLS

Insurance company reactions may vary from state to state -- I know Florida was concerned enough about windshield safety that they made the inscos drop the deductible from windshield replacement.

However, I would try a $10 repair kit from Wally or auto parts first. Be easier than taking it in for a replacement.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

Must be a crappy repair outfit. A decent shop would look at it and if it is too small to repair BUT was not going to be enough to compromise the glass they would use a diamond bit to enlarge it and taper it so they could fill it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yeah, that is what I thought too. A simple peck is not worth the effort. We dont really know the seriousness of this thing..

Reply to
HLS

That won't work, for two reasons

1) I'd be lying. I'm not concerned about my safety and I don't think the glass is compromised. I'm just annoyed by chip. 2) The repair guy came out because I *did* call the insurance company. Part of my insurance coverage includes free at-home windshield chip repair.
Reply to
Timur Tabi

If the windshield is replaced, then my deductible comes into play, which means I'll pay hundreds of dollars. And since they already sent someone out to examine the windshield, and he said it couldn't be repaired, then they would get suspicious. Even if they don't, I risk have my rates increased because I filed a claim.

Anyone have any ideas that don't involve my insurance company?

Reply to
Timur Tabi

It was an on-site repair. So if I bring it in to a shop, they might have equipment there that can do something?

Reply to
Timur Tabi

They "should". But it depends on the shop.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

Never hurts to get a second opinion. Otherwise, risk the price of a bag of popcorn and a Coke - buy a DIY glass kit at a parts house, and see what you can accomplish.

Reply to
HLS