Small pits in windshield

Hi Experts,

I have seen ads for substances that are supposed to fill these small pits and strengthen the windshield.

Is there any evidence that they help and, if so, is there a best one?

TIA

RF

Reply to
RF

MB windshields are very soft. Anything you try to do for a bad windshield is a waste of money. You will be money ahead replacing it.

Reply to
Karl

Thank you Karl.

The windshield is not very bad. The dents are quite small and there are not too many. It is on a 1984 240D (probably the same as a 300 or 300D) and I suspect replacement would cost quite a bit. What do you think?

RF

Karl wrote:

Reply to
RF

Here is a quote right off the internet:

I just did a quick search using this phrase: mobil windshield replace

Reply to
Karl

Thanks again Karl.

That is an excellent price. Do you know how they do it? Is the windshield made by MBZ or by some other glass company?

Have a great day :-)

RF

Karl wrote:

RF

It may be a 2nd.... it may be an off brand..... it may be a name brand.

You will need to ask the company you get ahold of.

MB does not make glass. The new cars are supplied by PPG.

On my 85 300D, all except the front was made by Sekurit. The windshield is D C L. I have no idea who that was. Some early makers were St. Gobains.

If you want the glass to have the MB star on it, you will have to order it from your dealer. No star? Replacement aftermarket glass.

If you have a newer car with a rain sensor in the windshield, ONLY a new windshield from the MB dealer will work. You cannot remove a rain sensor from an old windshield and reglue it onto a replacement windshield. NO matter what the glass shop tells you. It won't work!

Karl

Very interesting Karl.

My windshield has etched on it:

SICURSIV Hi 51V LIGHT A F R Hi Laminated DOT-36-A51 M124 E - 00110

Out of curiousity I'll check with that All Glass to see what its origin is.

Thanks again for your info.

RF

Karl wrote:

>> I just did a quick search using this phrase: mobil windshield replace>>>

Reply to
RF

No, but they could specify the quality.

DAS