won't start

ford explorer sport 97.the last month sometimes start,sometimes not.when i tow it to the shop it start.they said,they need to duplicate the proplem.i called mobile service,wanted him to check it in my place,he said,he had two problems like that and couldn't find the problem. i just put new fuel pump and fuel filter is 30,000 in use.thank you.Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss

For an engine to run, it needs:

  1. spark
  2. fuel
  3. air
  4. proper timing of the above.

Find out which one, or more, is not working and let us know.

Reply to
Paul

thanks for your re. it started today after a day & a half.its the fourth time in the last

6/wks. i wish i knew to point whats missing.the mechanic and the ford dealer also don't know. i thought maybe someone heard about this problem.i'll keep searching,thanks,Y.D
Reply to
dreyfuss

Have they pulled the codes off the computer?

Have they actually seen the car when it was refusing to start?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

no,this is the problem.when ever i take it to the shop it start.can never duplicate the situation at the shop. till now any way.Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss

also wanted to mention,that it makes the brrrrr..noise.whats missing is the last kick.Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss

Just a wild guess, but find the emergency fuel pump shutoff switch (likely under the right side carpet on wall of passenger side) and flip it on and off a few times -- It might be setting on the edge of 'trip'.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

Well, that's the irritating thing about intermittent problems. You either need to keep driving it until the problem becomes constant, or have your mechanic drive it around for a while until it happens to him.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That sounds like a bad Bendix, (inside the starter) or a chipped tooth on the flywheel. Make sure both ends of the battery cables are clean and tight first.

Reply to
W. Stief

thank you all,i'll pass it on to the mechanic.see what we can do.the routine so far was that it works for a week or so and then won't start for a day & a half.if it start first thing in the morning it will be ok the rest of the day.thanks again.Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss

After looking at other posts in this thread, I see no good description of exactly what it is or is not doing. Does the engine actually crank when you turn the switch to start? If not, do you hear anything - clicking or whatever? If the engine cranks, does it sound normal other than the engine does not start? Can you hear the fuel pump hum for a couple of seconds after you thurn the switch to "on"? Keep in mind that "start" can mean any one of several things as in nothing happens, you can only hear clicking, the starter turns or cranks the engine but, it does not start or run. I suspect you problem is simply a loose connection if it does nothing or just clicks when you turn the key to "start". The ignition conection on the starter motor is a common problem for this condition as is a failed starter solenoid. Have you had your battery condition checked? Many parts stores can do this for free.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

What????? "Car won't start" isn't a good description? Picky picky picky.....

Does the engine actually crank when you

Also it sounds like eventually he gets the car started. How? Does someone give it a jump or does he just take the bus and the next day it starts fine.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

I was booted from claire voiyance classes a being too logical to be trained!

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut