1996 Tercel - good deal?

My son is about to buy a 1996 Tercel with 106k, standard trans, for $3,000 from a private seller. We think it's a great deal - what do you think?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I wanted to sell one of my cars so bad I sold my '95 Tercel for $1250 (course, I paid $1400 2 years earlier)

You didn't mention the mileage. If it belonged to a granny lady and has

60,000 it is probably a good deal.

96-98 were the best years after the 88 model year.

Unless it is extremely excetional, I'd go for $2600. Of course, as the price of gas goes up, so does the price of these gas-sippers.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Drive it out to the Chicago burbs - I'll check it out for you.

Reply to
Ray O

"Wickeddoll®" wrote

Well, I dunno, but $3,000 sounds a bit expensive for a '96 manual Tercel with

106,000 miles.

I'm guessing $2,200 is more like it. You might want to try negotiating with the seller--don't take his first price.

I would definitely mention to him the Edmunds private-party selling price you can find on this quick appraisal page at Edmunds:

Filling in the form will give you a more accurate value.

I used to own a '95 Tercel 4-door automatic with 33,000 miles, and its value (before the crash last year) was about $3,200 (but it only had

33,000 miles).

Good luck to your son. Didn't you say one of your sons bought a Pontiac not long ago?

Reply to
Built_Well

Thanks, but now he's looking at a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse for $2,800, with

86k.

Thanks - I thought he did that, but maybe not. He says he talked the guy down to $3,000 - so I don't know what the original price was.

Ah - thanks

No, I rented a Sunfire a while back, and he was ticked that he didn't get to drive it (Wasn't 18 at that time).

I only have one son and one daughter, BTW :)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

With the engine just about ready to pop! Better get it checked thoroughly, and make sure the timing belt has been changed... BEFORE it broke! If it broke and the guy replaced it, there could be valve/head damage that may allow the car to run, but still needs to be fixed. Usually the belts break when Junior is trying to show off, and the valves have to be replaced at the least.

Reply to
Hachiroku