automobile parts origination

Is there an online site where I can get information about the content of today's automobiles and where their parts are made? I would like to share that information with some of my fellow workers who are fanantical about their Fords.

Reply to
badgolferman

What kind of parts? I managed a large fleet of Ford trucks and there are many OE parts that are Motorcraft. There are some supply houses that sell Motorcraft. At the time I had a direct purchase program with Ford, Dealer cost plus 5%. It was less expensive to buy from my Motorcrafr distributor than Ford. Ford dealers also purchase Motorcraft parts from outside vendors. The dealer cost plus 5% was delivered to my garage. Ron

Reply to
ronbon

I don't know of any online site, but maybe you can just take a picture of a window sticker on your local Ford lot. I think the % origin disclosure information is on all of them now.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

The most accurate place to look to determine the US content of a PARTICULAR vehicle is look at the first digit of the VIN. A '1' indicates US content of more than 70%. A '4' indicates US content of more than 40% but less than 70% and a '5.' indicates US content of less than 40%. You can also look at the 'North American Parts' label that indicates the "North American" content that shows a car lines content of parts assembled in the US, Canada and Mexico, regardless of where the component parts of a particular assembly were made. I.E. NAP assembled in the Canada would be counted as Canadian parts and thus calculated in the NAP label. That however can be confusing. For example a Camry made entirely in Japan, without a single North American part, will carry a NAP label that shows it has 'X' amount of North American parts when obviously that Camry does not have any.

Eighty percent of Ford brand vehicles sold in the US are made in the US and have a '1.' The others like the CV have a '2' made in Canada of many US and Canadian parts, or a '3' made in Mexico of US, and Mexican parts. Some Ford vehicles. Like the Lincoln LT truck, made in the same plant as F150s with a '1,' carry a '4' because they use too many Canadian parts to carry a '1.'

Currently the only Toyotas that have a '1' are those made in the GM/Toyota plant in California where the UAW contract requires at least 70% US parts. Camrys on the other hand carry a '4' or a 'J' made in Japan. The Tundra carries a '5,' which means it is only assembled in the US of less than 40% US parts.

Many Japanese corporations, like individual Japanese, are meticulous about supporting their own economy. So most of the US parts used by Toyota are either made in their own plants or by some other Japanese corporation like Nippon Steel, Bridgestone, NKG etc., or purchase from one of the Japanese parts companies distributed by Denson Global.

Honda and Nissan, on the other hand, actually make cars and trucks in the US of more than 70% US parts. The Accord, and the Titan carry a '1.' It was Hondas complaint to the FTC, about Toyota saying their cars are made in the US, that led to Toyota changing their ads to saying 'Assemble in the US of world sourced parts.'

mike hunt

.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, where did you copy and paste this information from? This is not your writing since I know your style. I would like a link to the site please.

Reply to
badgolferman

Not much would have a single origin. For example I noticed the front blinker assembly for my Supra has the labels "made in USA", "made in Europe", "made in Japan" all molded in the body of it.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.