Automotive Hits and Misses (Backseat Driver at Forbes, Toyota, GM, Ford, Other Automotive News)

I found this article - and most of the "Backseat Driver" articles I've read - interesting...

DH

THey note that screws left on your carpet of a new car is a sign of poor quality. Every Toyota I've purchase had a few left over screws on the carpet. When I asked the dealer he would say that if they drop a screw during assembly, they just grab another one. My latest Hondas had screws left over but I tracked them down to various methods supplied by Honda of installing license plates.

Art

Extra screws is disturbing but not necessarily a problem. Sure, they dropped and grabbed another out of the bin.

Unfilled screw holes are much more worrisome.

DH

I don't think the issue was unfilled screwholes in US cars. It was that the US car makers, until recently, did not cover up screws whereas Asians always had a cap on the heads. Never a big issue to me.

Art