Re: Automotive Dialectic

I think we should go back to crossply tyres.

Fairly narrow profile for reduced slipping and sliding, and inexpensive.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

What a cheap performance bolt on goodie!!!!!!!!.. flat windshield + Jeep GC = 550mph.. a question tho.. how does one see a stop light at 30,000 feet?..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

management?

Reply to
Mike Hall

We sorta like your drift...you mean, like, a '55 , low compression, Volkswagon did less Environmental Damage than 2004 BMW suv? And who wudda thought they'd invent computerized brakes that will give you No Brakes when the goin' gets slippery? ( That's as creative as their explaination of said brakes mortalities figures.)

Yes, please continue...

Much later, touch on "family planning" vs. "locomotion"...

ls

Reply to
Larry Starr

FACT: Well designed drum brakes perform about as well as well designed disk brakes, always have and always will. Poorly designed disk and drum brakes escape into the wild all the time because current performance regulations permit the same.

FACT: Michelin perfected the tire in 1948 when it introduced the Michelin X, triple steel belted radal tire. It lasted almost 85,000 miles and did not get many flats. (OK it did not have the ultimate handling characteristis). Tires at that time lasted about 10,000 miles and got a flat several times a year if not more frequently. Most vehicles have no problem getting the wheels properly aligned today.

FACT: Try the 300SLR if you want to see superb engineering. How about direct intake mechanical fuel injection without any intake valves. (Problem, only two guys in Germany knew how to set this up). This (electronic direct injection), is now being introduced in vehicles and it provides improved fuel milage and power. Life is good.

FACT: Full coverage glass insurance is cheap. Curved glass is cool if it is not optically distorted.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Hilarious. Please post more. But is an automotive group appropriate for such humor?

management?

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I drive a '70 Sport Fury. A nice car: brakes well, decemt gas mileage, easy to repair, etc. If I tried to put my family in a new car the tires would be flat and the body pan would be on the pavement.

Reply to
SPS 700

Hey, lets go back to the horse and buggy. That would settle everything. Then Nomen Nescio would complain about stepping in horse poopie all the time and that they ought to put diapers on the horses. Put a bigger feed bag on the nag so we get better fuel mileage and keep an extra standby bag of feed so incase the first one gets a hole in it and we break down on the road because of a bad 'fuel bag'. You know it happens all the time. We then need a flat screen in front of the buggy so we don't get hit by bugs. We need a carbon fiber brake stick to stand up better against the wheel when stopping. We need better screws in the metal rims of the wheels so that they stay straight on the wheel.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Continuing this thought, I felt it worth mentioning that about 100 years ago the big fear of many London residents and traffic planners was not the traffic jams (about the same as today) but the rising tide of horse manure. Where to put it all... (I kid you not!)

Thankfully ol' Harry Ford et came along in the nick of time with their mass horse-replacement scheme...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling