Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

Threaded View

Saw two simultaneous and previously unencountered things occur today
on my '89 Toyota Cressida.

First I noticed that my cruise control doesn't work though the green
"cruise" indicator is going on. Second, discovered that my brake
lights are staying on, with all lights turned off and the vehicle off.
Right now I've got the battery disconnected.

What will cause either/both of these? Obviously I can't keep
disconnecting my battery every time I park the car and I need my brake
lights to work.

Thanks for all input.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

My guess. When the brake light switch is activated , that disconnects the
cruise control. So I would assume the brake light switch is bad and stays
closed all the time. WW

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

Brake light switch is stuck on. Not a hard fix. It's attached to the
brake pedal arm up behind the dash area. Simple to R&R with a new one.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

It is easy to check for continuity on the brake light switch with an ohm
meter.  The switch should be open when the pedal is not depressed and closed
with the pedal is depressed.  Before you remove the old switch, check the
adjustment so that you can get the replacement switch close before you
install it and then fine tune it after it is in place.  Also make sure that
the brake pedal is retracting fully.

If the switch is good, check for a short to ground somewhere in the circuit,
starting in the trunk.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

A shorted wire will blow the fuse, not turn the lights on. The Cruise should
be enabled in this condition also, not disabled.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

Why do you think that? It depends on the method used to activate the brake
lights and crusie control. I agree that for the common brake light circuits
I have seen, shorting the positive 12V feed to the lights should blow a
fuse. But blowing this fuse muight also cause the cruise control not to work
depending on how things are set up. Also, I can imagine a system where the
brake lights are turned on by the car's computer. Such a system might use
the brake light switch as a signaling device that signals the computer that
the brake pedal is engaged by connecting a signal line to gorund. In such a
system, if the signal line was shorted, the brake lines might turn on
without blowing a fuse.

Probably you are right about a shorted wire in the trunk blowing a fuse, but
I am not sure that would also enable the cruise control. And given some of
the light monitoring systems used in some cars, I am not sure what a short
might actually do.

Ed

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

On 7/28/10 9:58 AM, in article i2pgfu$skd$1@news.eternal-september.org, "C.

This being an '89, the odds that the switch itself has shed a crunchy
plastic part has got to be approaching 100 percent.  Its not going to be
necessary to ohm out anything or test the switch for continuity, one look at
it will tell the story.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

I was thnking of a very simple wiring system where the Cruise would see the
brake light voltage go high because the brakes were applied, and this would
shut the system down. Assuming a short, then the voltage would never go
high, and that would keep the system enabled.

Having said that, if the wire that turns the brake lights on were to short,
the lights would not come on and the fuse should blow. What happens to the
Cruise is beyond me, I've not really given it all that much thought. Since
the symptom set is that the Brake Lights are on and the Cruise is disabled,
then the thing I would be looking for is a stuck brake light switch. I'd not
be expecting a short anywhere in the system.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

might not even be the switch but the pedal lever tab that activates it.
  on hondas, it's a little plastic tab that pushes through a hole.  if
the tab breaks apart, the switch pin pokes through the hole where the
tab would be and fails to switch off the lights and switch on the
cruise.  costs about $2 new, or free at a junkyard [too small and they
won't charge you for it].

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

That's what caused it on my '90 Corolla. But the dealer quoted me $20.00
for the part...about a 10 gram piece of plastic...and he had to order it.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

The line to the brake lights is telling the cruise control system to shut
down, as if you had pressed the brake.

I'd first check the brake light switch... is it stuck?  Is it broken?
Is it properly adjusted?  It should be mounted on the brake pedal assembly
somewhere.  If that tests okay with a meter and isn't obviously bad,
start checking wiring.
--scott

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

I'd start my search at the brake light switch mounted to the brake pedal.
This switch causes the brake lights to come on, and it disables the Cruise
Control.

My guess is that the switch is stuck in the position as if you were applying
the brakes.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

Replaced the switch, lights still staying on. Dangit.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

Do the lights stay on when you *unplug* the switch?

nate

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

The meter will tell you what is going on.  The meter is your friend.
--scott

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

did you check for the little plastic tab that presses the switch activator?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

As it turns out, I tried taping the plunger down and the lights go
off.  When I look closely at the contact area on the pedal shaft,
there's a hole that's *just* big enough for the plunger to fit
through, so apparently something - I assume this tab you refer to
snaps into that hole and broke off. Will probably jury-rig something
until I can get the right piece.

Re: Brake lights staying on, cruise control not working

yup, that's it.  if you look in the footwell, you'll probably find bits
of the old one so you'll have a better idea of what it looks like.  new
ones are relatively cheap.  or they're free from a junkyard.

although they're known to fail sometimes in very old vehicles, in
principle the plastic tab/plug thingie is a good idea - it offers a low
friction surface which preserves the switch [there's a slight sliding
motion because the pedal swings through an arc], and it provides a
bump-stop for pedal rebound.  one of those useless/useful things to have
in the spares box.

nomina rutrum rutrum