Camry Impressions

I bought an 07 Camry LE a couple of days ago, used with 10,000 miles on it. I traded in an 00 Avalon. Anyhow, I was anxious to see how the Camry compares with the Avalon and older Camrys I've had (83, 89 & 92). Well, after having driven it for a couple of hundred miles, I gotta say it's a great car. It seems to have plenty of power (4 cyl) so I don't really miss the Avalon's six cylinder. I really like the way Toyota has incorporated control functionality into the devices themselves. For example, you turn on the cabin light by pushing in the light and the trip odometer reset also serves as the instrument light dimming switch. The only negative I've found thus far is it has too much road noise at highway speeds (75 to 85 mph). So... so far, so good.

I do have one question though for you other Camry owners. In the middle of the dash just insided the windshield is a plastic button. It doesn't blink, beep or flash. What is that thing? Here's a photo.

jor

A bit of a fuzzy pic jor, but it looks to me like the photo sensor for headlight, instrumentation, ect., day/night (dimming) settings.

Reply to
user

Ambient temperature sensor for cars with automatic temperature control?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yea, sorry about the fuzziness. Couldn't really see what I was doing! Anyhow, I couldn't find any reference to it in the manual and I don't think this car has any auto features like that. It's a straight up LE. jor

Reply to
jor

I'm almost positive it's the sensor I mentioned. You can test it to see if it is by placing the car in daylight with the headlights in auto (check the manual it should mention that). Place something over the plastic dome to block all light. Your lights should come on bright and the instrumentation should dim in less than one minute (you should hear the relay "click" as well).

Reply to
user

In message news:2007052906244216807-jor@jorcom, jor sprach forth the following:

I've had several cars set up like that.

Satan's light sensor (i.e. it operates DRL and auto-on headlights).

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

The Camry LE I rented last month had automatic headlights. I just left the headlights in the auto/on position and they took care of themselves.

Reply to
Truckdude

Okay, I haven't read any of the replies - yet. My guess is: the light sensor for the headlights - to automatically ramp up from daytime running light to full headlights.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

My guess matches up. The sensor on my Corolla's on the far left of the dash, but IMO not such a hot place for it, because the registration & inspection stickers can block it to some extent.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Tell them to stick it..... somewhere else..:-)

Reply to
RT

This sensor is a dual purpose sensor. (It's really a solar sensor.)

Purpose 1: As you mentioned, it IS a light sensor to automatically turn on you exterior lights.

Purpose 2: Control A/C. There are two separate solar sensors in the "button". One sensing solar energy from the left and one from the right. The A/C "computer" uses this set up, along with the inside room temp sensor (under dash, in line w/ accelerator pedal) and exterior temp sensor (center, front of radiator) to control operation of the A/C unit.

This info came from Toyota service manuals.

John

Reply to
John

Ejection seat.

Reply to
Art

John wins the prize for the correct answer!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks to John, Ph and others. That clears that up! On another note, I mentioned that we had a wreck in our Avalon. When it was being repaired we rented a car from Enterprise, an 07 Dodge Charger. What a piece of junk! Uncomfortable, terrible blind spots, underpowered, constantly searching transmission. It did start every time though. jor

Reply to
jor

I just noticed that the town just north of mine has started using the new Dodge Chargers as marked police cars. The town must have gotten a good price, but probably not good value.

Reply to
Truckdude

North Carolina just bought a bunch of "Hemi" Powered Chargers to use as patrol cars. According to the Michigan Police Testing site, the V-8 Chargers are much faster than Crown Victoria, drink a lot more gas, have less interior room, and cost a lot more. I suppose the Highway Patrol needs a fast car to catch speeders, but I often wonder if having two idiots driving over a 110 mph isn't worse than having one. They also sell a V-6 Charger for police work, but it is still more expensive than a Crown Vic or an Impala, so I am not sure why anyone would by one of those. Seems like the worst possible combination, slow, thirty, cramped, and ugly.

Last weekend my SO claimed she saw a Mustang being used as a South Carolina HP car. I didn't see, it, so I can't be sure. I suspect she saw a Charger and thought it was a Mustang

Personally, I wish the HP would drive these ->
Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yeah, now that you mention it, I saw cars pulled over on rural I-5 by unmarked Chargers up in Washington State last week.

Reply to
Truckdude

The advantage the Charger has over the Impala is RWD. I don't really we an advantage over a Crown Vic unless it costs less.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't think the V-6 Charger has any advantages. The V-8 Charger is much faster than the Crown Vic (I mean like 30 mph faster).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Motor Trend recently had a comparison of the police versions of the Crown Vic, Charger, and Impala:

IIRC, the outcome was that the Crown Vic was the most comfortable, had the roomiest trunk for all the stuff they need to carry, and had a ballistic lining in the doors. The Impala was the most economical, and the Charger was the fastest. Surprisingly, none of the cars were particularly "hot, " but I guess high speed chases are politically incorrect these days.

Reply to
Ray O