Incorrect speedometer reading on '96 Camry LE

Hi all,

My Camry's speedometer is showing 10-12% higher speed than the car is really going. I bought it used about 2 years ago and always suspected it was the case, but has never had a chance to really check it. Now I have got a nice Garmin Nuvi200 GPS navigator for Christmas, so I can measure it precisely... The tires are of correct size and properly inflated. The odd thing is that the odometer seems to be correct....

Any ideas? Can it be calibrated? Is it expensive? Can it be a sign of that the odometer was tempered in the past?

Thanks, /MM

Reply to
MM

There are different sensors used depending on application and model. Is the tire size OEM? Transmission original? Might want to pull the speed sensor assembly and check that it gives 4 pulses per revolution. May also be a problem withe combination meter. I won't speculate on the problem. See:

johngdole

So if you are showing 66 you are actualy going 60? I remember years ago reading car tests and seeing 1-3mph was common among manufacturers. As a tire wears and looses rubber that will do the same, but I dont know the mph effect. There is zero garmin error?

Reply to
ransley

My wife's 95 Camry LE 4 Cyl Auto has **exactly** the same problem.

Will watch to see the replies which you get.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Funny, my 95 Camry LE 4cyl speedo is exactly in tune with my Garmin nuvi200. I have relatively new OEM spec Yokohama Avid tires. 191,000 miles, original transmission. I would speculate tire size. Speedo gear strippage would show up as a slower speed, not faster, right?

Reply to
pwichert

same, but I dont know the mph effect. There is zero >garmin error?

Garmin has this for the error rate on my I3:

Velocity accuracy: 0.05 meter/sec (.035mph) steady state

Close enough to zero for a car speedometer check.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes.

Yes.

Honestly, I am not really inclined to do it myself. I was just wondering if it could be done at reasonable price...

/MM

Reply to
MM

Yes, except I am in Canada and we use km/h here :)

same, but I dont know the mph effect. There is zero garmin error?

The tires are almost new. Garmin is very precise. And one can just feel that the car is not going at the speed it claims! :)

/MM

Reply to
MM

No, the tires are of correct size guaranteed! I got a set for the winter and I triple checked this.

You mean slippage?.. I guess so...

/MM

Reply to
MM

Something is counting faster than spec. The allowable errors in the US is about 3-4%. Now if the speedo shows higher speed than actual, how about the distance? Are you traveling more KMs than actual? If not then it's the speedo and not the counter circuit.

Most of the time things like this happen because of transmission rebuild, wheel swaps, etc that a wrong ratio of gear/sensor was put in. If it's not mechanical then it will be harder to track down the integrated circuits in the instrument panel.

Reply to
johngdole

The distance almost matches the GPS, the error is less than 1%.

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on what could have been done to the transmission in the past...

/MM

Reply to
MM

I have a car where the speed accuracy varies with outside temperature. On cold days it's pretty close but on warm days it's about 10% fast. Since the odometer is fairly accurate and the car is 20 years old I think it's the dirty or aging grease in the speedo-needle unit, a weak spring or a combination of the 2. There are shops that will clean and recalibrate the speedometer head unit but I just use my GPS if I really need to know.

Another possibility on older cars are bad connections and grounds but I haven't had those kind of problems with my 95 Camry.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

My 2005 Camry has the same problem. Toyota says if it's within 10% it's acceptable. To them I guess. Mine reads 65 when travelling 60 verified by GPS, Radar, and stop watch. Next car won't be Toyota although it's not to bad otherwise, few pesky qaulity issues. No where near as solid as my 2001.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

I agree that this much error is unacceptable. Japanese motorcycles from earlier eras used to read 5 MPH high, just to make them *seem* faster. Our '95 Camry LE four sedan, though, is only high by 2 MPH - the same as my '95 Civic EX.

Reply to
mjc1