Great Toyota commercial

Hot chick, broken down toyota (or is it?), james bond theme song... really neat!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Yep...good one...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I showed it to some of my co-workers who drive Fords and they didn't get find it amusing.

Reply to
badgolferman

Odd...one would think that anyone driving a ford would need to have a good sense of humour...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

So I should assume any crapped out Toyota I see along the side of I-40 in the morning is being driven by a spy? I knew we aren't doing a good job of controlling the borders, but geez, with the number of broken down Toyotas I see on I-40, we must be under siege. It also makes me worry about my neighbor. He constantly claims he needs a ride to pick-up his Toyota from the shop. I guess he is setting me up for the kill. One of these days I know he is goign to pull a gun on me while we are on the way to get his perfect car from the dealer (again).

I thought the commercial was cute, even if the premise is total BS. It is certainly better than some of the siller Tundra commericals they run in my area. I am talking about the ones where they pick and choose features in a vain effort to prove a Tundra is better than an F150. I particualrly hate the boat ramp commerical. I could pull that toy boat out with my Vue. Heck about a month ago, I had to pull a 2WD Tundra and a boat up the ramp with my wimpy Expedition. Traction control was really helping that guy. 2WD + no weight in the back + backing too far down a slick ramp and dropping the trailer off the end of the ramp was too much for wonder boy's mighty Tundra. It was a good thing somebody with a real truck was available. Heck, I was dragging his sorry Tundra up the ramp before he could even give it any gas.

I also dislike the one where they show the guy closing the Tundra Double Cab tailgate, while the Ford F150 SuperCrewguy can't. There are at least three prolems with the commerical - 1) Nobody who really need a crew cab work truck is going to buy an F150 SuperCrew - the F250 crew is about the same cost and is a real work truck. The Tundra is not even clsoe to an F250, but costs more; 2) neither the Tundra Double Cab nor the Ford F150 SuperCrew can haul 8 foot lumber with the tailgate up. Toyota cuts some board to make theirs look good; 3) the commercials don't mention that the Tundra Double Cab is significantly longer than the F150 SuperCrew. This is important to the posers who buy these Faux work trucks.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

That IS cool!

LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

*snipping rant*

I can only speak for myself, but the only Toyotas I've seen crapped out on the roadside are very old, totaled, or with flat tires, or all of the above. I've never seen a late model Toyota on the side of the road for any length of time.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You must not be looking very hard. Maybe my area has an especially high number of Toyotas, but it is certinaly not uncommon to see one parked along I-40 waiting for a tow. I am not saying there is one every day, but it is not a rare sight either.

Just go to the Toyota dealer, I'll bet there will be more than a few Toyotas needing work.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Those are the ones that ran out of gas.

Reply to
badgolferman

Or were poorly maintained by their owners. If you don't take care of the car (any car), it can't take care of you.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yes! Or someone trying to trick you!

Really - send me a picture of a broken down toyota... wont happen!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Oil changes and wheel alignments is all my dealer does! no major work, almost ever!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Saw that posted in the images.fun group a while ago!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

What'll you pay for it? About $80? That's what it'll take to fix my Celica.

(you didn't say HOW OLD!!!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nah, all I do is oil changes...well, except for the two times the timing belts snapped at 120,000...always trying to get an extra 1.000 miles out of that belt! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why are you on this site? Are you a Ford salesman? I try to stay away from Expeditions just in case they have tire problems and roll over like their Explorer brothers

Reply to
zonie

I am interested in a Tundra or Tacoma Truck.

If you want to buy a Ford I am sure I could work somethnig out (but I am not a salesman).

If you are worried about rollovers, it would be best to stay away from the previous generation 4Runners. They had a much higher rollover rate than Explorers. But how would you know, since the press never bothered to actaully give you any comparions. The truth was, that even with the crappy Firestone tires, 4 Door Explorers had one of the lower rollover rates for mid-sized SUVs (the 2 Doors were bad though, not the worst, but not good either). Previous generation 4 door 4Runners had the worst rollover rate of any 4 door mid-sized SUV.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Great. Can you tell me how I can download the video????????

Reply to
billybooger

Right - but somehow Ford ended up paying millions, while supposed 4runner got under the radar? Is that how tin foil hats work?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

It is hard to explain. But I don't think the NHTSA and IIHS statistics lie. Mike Hunt claims you can't sue Japanese companies in the US, but I can't believe that is true. I suspect it has more to do with press reporting than anything else. For instance, how many articles have you seen on the problem with Toyota truck ball joints? If you checked the NHTSA complaint database the month before the investigation of the Ford cruise control deactivation switch was announced, there were for more complaints against Tundra front suspension failures, that against Ford cruise control switch fires. I looked through the NHTSA complaint database, and there were only around 50 complaints about the Ford cruise control switch prior to the announcement of the investigation. After the announcement in the press, the number of complaints skyrocketed (including ones for trucks that didn't even include that type of switch that was found to be defective). Why would this be? I blame it on shoddy reporting that hypes certain problems and trial lawyers that encourage such stories. For whatever reason, the press loves to pick on Ford, GM, and Chrysler. In a quick 5 minute search earlier this week, I found the following Toyota recalls:

"Toyota Motor Corp., meanwhile, recalled 978,000 sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks over complaints that a rod linking the steering wheel and the wheels could fracture when the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is stopped. The affected vehicles include the 1990-1995 4Runner SUV, 1989-1995 truck 4WD and 1993-1998 T-100 pickup."

"Toyota Motor Co. said Wednesday it would recall 345,000 Sienna minivans because the seat belt in some seating positions may become difficult to retract when unbuckled."

"In August 2003, Toyota recalled more than 30,000 Sienna minivans from the

2004 model year because of concern that the fuel tank was prone to damage and could cause a fire."

"National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recalls 2001, 2002 and 2003 Toyota Tacoma.

"On certain pickup trucks, during side impact testing, a flange at the rear end of the double cab body deformed and interfered with the fuel inlet hose that connects the fuel filler pipe and fuel tank, resulting in damage to the fuel inlet hose. This damage could result in fuel leakage, which could result in a fire if in the presence of an ignition source"

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a recall for

2002 - 2003 Toyota Celica.

"The fuel tank check valve, located in the fuel tank inlet pipe, may become separated from the inlet pipe and fall into the fuel tank. If the check valve falls into the tank, fuel may spill from the fuel inlet pipe when the fuel pump automatically shuts off during fueling. This condition may result a fire in the presence of an ignition source. Owners may contact Toyota at (800) 331-4331"

"Toyota is recalling 11,592 2005 Tacoma pickups with bench seats in the U.S. NHTSA said the seatbelt-buckle sensor may not function as designed, which could cause the airbag to deploy improperly in a crash."

"WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp., in one of its largest safety recalls ever, said Tuesday it is recalling more than 750,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of problems with the front suspension that could hinder steering.

"The company said the recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

"Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time."

"Toyota is recalling 128,000 Camry's because some side air bags may not work properly."

This was just a quick culling of Toyota recalls. How many got the sort of play in the press that a typical Ford or GM recall gets?

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White