Toyota Avensis Strata

Hi,

I wonder if someone may be able to offer advice on the following situation:

Could somebody please explain in detail what would be involved in replacing the roof skin, of a Toyota Avensis Strata and explain the procedure that would have been carried out from start to finish?

Ed

Reply to
Eamon

Well the normal route is to give your car & your credit card to the body shop & then the car comes back the shape it's supposed to be & after you've seen the credit card bill you vow to never again buy a new car/ not buy comprehensive insurance.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Duncan,

I do have comprehensive insurance, and the body shop got paid.

They claimed they had to replace the roof skin, some months later after the roof trim came loose I had another panel beater inspect the roof and he is of the opinion that the roof skin was not replaced.

What I am trying to find out from someone with a knowledge of carrying out this type of repair is how would this job be done. If somebody could give details of this please I would much appreciate your comments.

Reply to
Eamon

DuncanWood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or just "go and buy a bucket and sponge"....?

Reply to
Adrian

Eamon ( snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

All the interior and exterior trim above the waistline stripped out, windscreen removed, tailgate removed, sunroof tray (if it's got a sunroof) removed), all the spotwelds drilled/ground out, old skin removed, new one in place, spotwelded back in, whole upper half of car resprayed, all trim refitted, new windscreen (since it's bonded)....

Then marvel at all the new squeeks, rattles, leaks and gaps the interior's gained...

Will Sir be washing his car himself from now on?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian,

Thank you for your reply, and yes I wash the car myself now.

Adrian, could you please advise if I am correct with the following...

  1. In order to know for sure if the roof skin was replaced the interior and exterior trim would have to me removed
2.To check if it is spotwelded
  1. If the windscreen was removed could it have been replaced with a windscreen that has the same markings as the original ?i.e. "Toyota" "Pilkington" "Laminated" "E1" "43R-001585" "Dot 682-M1250-AS1" ".." "3"

Thanks again.

Reply to
Eamon

Eamon ( snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm assuming it's a hatch? Just open the hatch and have a bloody good look at the seam there - you may need to just pull the seal back.

If it weren't, it'd be flapping more than somewhat...

No idea. Possibly? Yes. Probably? Dunno.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Do what I do - never wash the damn thing anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

Adrian,

It is a Saloon not Hatch.

Reply to
Eamon

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Could be glued! Modern glues are amazing.

Reply to
Guy King

Little known fact - if you don't wash a car for more than 4 years or so (depends on car + location) it sets up a self-cleaning system, and takes care of itself.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Nope, doesn't work here. After 4 years the car is full and it's time to get another.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Trust me, Guy, I'm with you on that one...

Reply to
Adrian

Eamon ( snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In that case, they'll have had to remove the bonded rear screen and replace that, too.

Is the gutter trim still off? You should be able to see the seam through that, if it is. If not, it's going to be tricky.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's an Avensis, not an Elise...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian,

Is the gutter trim still off? yes There is some type of adhesive there I will try later to remove some of this adhesive so I can see... Will let you know later

To replace a roof skin would they have to remove both the bonded windscreen and the rear windscreen?

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Eamon

Yes. Why did the roof need replacing?

Reply to
DuncanWood

Car wash damage. In case you haven't seen it yet, see Eamons post earlier today in this n/g. Subject 'roof skin' Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Duncan, See post on this n/g Subject: roof skin

Ed

Reply to
Eamon