Looking for a commuter car that gets great mileage-Corolla?

I am now driving about 70 miles to work one way. Maximum gas mileage is essential. I have looked at geo metro xfi and echo...but they are really a little too chintzy. It looks like the corolla gets 40. Any idea what the newer body style is going for used? My only wants are a manual trans and cruise control.

Reply to
Fx199

Metro is underpowered and unreliable anyway. But that hasn't been made for some time now. The "GM" equivalent now is the Chevy Aveo, which is actually built by Daewoo and gets horrible gas mileage for this class (35mpg on the highway, according to EPA).

I suggest you check Edmunds.com for used prices.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The new Civic is selling like hot cakes. Maybe you can get the previous model used cheap.

Reply to
Art

Yes i am definately buying used. The Daewoo indeed gets horrible mileage for it's size. Underpowered doesn't bother me THAT much.

Reply to
Fx199

I agree.

I was shocked at how poor the gas mileage was on the Aveo for its size!!

Reply to
me

I'm driving a 96 Tercel that gets 40 to 45 mpg hwy.Better looking than the Echo. Nice for short trips, but cramped on long vacations with the dog in back. If you need more room get the Corolla, which I might do when it's time to replace my Tercel.

Reply to
bakdor51

I'm driving a 96 Tercel that gets 40 to 45 mpg hwy.Better looking than the Echo. Nice for short trips, but cramped on long vacations with the dog in back. If you need more room get the Corolla, which I might do when it's time to replace my Tercel.

Reply to
bakdor51

There aren't a lot of good, reliable 40mpg choices and, given the recent gas price spikes, prices on used high-mpg cars have gone up.

You might consider a Lancer. Edmunds says the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, for example, gets 33mpg hwy vs the Corolla's 40mpg hwy and that strikes me as really strange - the cars are very similar in weight, power, etc. You might look in the 2002 issues of Consumer Reports, Road and Track or similar to see if anybody did a comparison that included overall fuel mileage and see if the EPA numbers are off. Maybe Mitsubishi puts a lot less air in the tires, in which case you could improve mileage by pumping them up a bit.

We looked at a Lancer recently and found it attractive, comfortable, roomy, fairly quiet, lively and overall fairly nice for a little car. We eventually decided to get a different type of car but I made a mental note to look at Lancers again when we needed another small car. It looks like the bottom-of-the-line Lancer is equipped similar to the mid-line Corolla CE.

I mention the Lancer because they seem to be available for thousands less than Corollas and Civics of similar vintage, at least around here. If, as I believe, Mitsubishi has quality and reliability similar to the Toyotas and Hondas and the market has simply not caught on to this, you might do well buying one. Friends of mine have owned Galants they bought new quite a few years ago and they've had no trouble. But that's just a sample size of two! It might be worth checking recent issues of Consumer Reports to see how reliability is for Mitsubishis.

You might look at the newer Kias or Hyundais, especially if they still come with good warranties. You could probably buy a new one for the price of a used Corolla. Their gas mileage isn't bad but it doesn't quite look as good as the Corolla.

Reply to
DH

I didn't know Tercels were made so late. I looked up the pics on the web, they do look slightly more normal than an Echo. Might be just the model I am looking for. Any more info on the later Tercels I might need to know? Could you get cruise on a manual in those?

Reply to
Fx199

I would avoid Tercels with the electronic carburetor, which were prone to driveability complaints. I believe these were sold in the late 1980's to very early 1990's. A fuel-injected Tercel should be fine.

And yes, I believe cruise control was offered with a manual transmission.

Reply to
Ray O

I have owned two Corollas, a 2003 and now a 2005, both LE models with auto trans and cruise. I drive 83 miles one way to work. You will get

38+ mpg if you drive 70 or less. Above 70 the mileage deteriorates to mid 30s at best. Wind and grades are also a consideration with a car this light. I live in snow country and I can say that the car is very stable and secure in the snow. I have had very good luck with with the Corolla and intend on driving one for a long time. For your consideration.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Thanks...how long has the new body style for the corolla been out? I really do NOT care for the previous Corolla's looks.

BUMP...hello...this is a Toyota thread

Reply to
Fx199

I believe that the first year for the new and larger style was 2003. Five bolt lugs, ect.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Yeh, 98 was the last year for the Tercel. My 96 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Wih almost 130,000 miles , it still runs like new. I've only replaced the timing belt as preventive measure, other engine belts, tires and done oil changes.Head lights and tail lights are all original. So parts on this car last a long time.

Chris

Reply to
bakdor51

Just looked at some prices on the net..WOW

Expensive!!

4 grand for Tercels with 100k and ten years old.

16 grand for 2003+ Corollas

By the time you figure in insurance, licensing and cost...might as well just buy the gas..LOL

I'm going to keep looking for a newer Tercel though.

Reply to
Fx199