New York City to go all Hybrid Cabs

NYC Wants All-Hybrid Taxi Fleet; 288 Ford Escape Hybrids Already Picking Up Fares Date posted: 05-23-2007

STORY TOOLS NEW YORK CITY - The Ford Escape Hybrid taxi is no longer an uncommon site in this haven for the taxicab. The city now has 288 of the alt-fuel vehicles, Ford says. This fits nicely with Mayor Michael Bloomberg's announcement this week that the city is targeting an all-hybrid taxicab fleet by 2012.

The mayor said all vehicles used as taxicabs will have to meet stronger emissions and fuel-economy standards by next year. From the 375 hybrids on taxi duty right now, the number is to rise to 1,000 by October 2008.

Ford says both its Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid meet the new, more stringent standards. The automaker calls the Escape Hybrid Taxi "the most fuel-efficient SUV on Earth" with a city-driving fuel usage of 34 mpg for the front-wheel-drive model and a 500-mile cruising range.

What this means to you: Seems like an environmental no-brainer to make the yellows go green.

Reply to
GO Mavs

Actually, the city is not requiring hybrids. If a car maker wants to make a vehicle that meets the city's efficiency requirements some other way, like with diesels that meet the emissions standards, or more efficient gas engines, that would be fine. Right now, the only vehicles that meet the standards are hybrids, however.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

True! I could have been more accurate by adding that.

Reply to
GO Mavs

In message news:Hb45i.9892$vp1.8730@trnddc06, GO Mavs sprach forth the following:

No brain is right... how much is that first 1/8 mile now?

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

He is right the Battery is 7k but it is dropping. He is guessing based on the warranty. With the escape warranty, if the battery goes before 100 k the battery is automatically replaced. but the batteries last between 150 and

200k...
Reply to
GO Mavs

It seems weird - Ford charging more than Toyota for a battery (pardon the pun). Thanks.

I just hope the batteries don't land on someone's foot when they drop - I bet that hurts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message news:Hn75i.11205$kf1.4242@trnddc01, Jeff sprach forth the following:

Toyota doesn't have to pay union baboons.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

In message news:o3g5i.7941$YW1.5792@trnddc04, Jeff sprach forth the following:

You've obviously NEVER been to NYC.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

I can see it now, rickshaws all over midtown LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, there are human powered taxis. They are tricycles with room for two people in the back and powered by a driver. They are now licensed by NYC. They're smaller than cars. The power plant emits less CO2 regular cars. And for tourists, they fun.

The taxi companies were complaining that they were taking away taxi business. Yeah, like you're going to get someone to bicycle from midtown (where I do see the tricycle taxis) to JFK. That is when NYC started to regulate them.

If there were enough of them, and they got their own lanes, they could save gas, actually speed up transportation for relatively short distances (say 3000 m or less), and probably offer handicapped people better service.

Of course, I just take subways. They're safe and efficient.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I was in NYC a few days ago, it cost me $4 to ride. I remeber when it was

5c ;)

mike

service.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In message news:q5j5i.5437$Ud7.4212@trnddc08, GO Mavs sprach forth the following:

In what city? Not in NYC. And not as a cabbie.

It says 22 mpg in AGGRESSIVE CITY DRIVING, shitfuck.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

And you said you would never ride on the subways.

They're not that clean (a lot of people who ride them are pigs).

But, they work well. Without the subway, there is no way NYC could have some many people in it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I can only guess Fred has never been to NYC or a major city. His idea that a cabbie can just pull out and floor it to get up to speed... does not work.. It's kind of dumb though because even if all the hybrid got was 22 mph in NYC.. that is better than the listed 17 mph for the crown victoria...

Reply to
GO Mavs

In message news:kXl5i.15347$qp5.7681@trnddc03, GO Mavs sprach forth the following:

It's called "stop and go". And it's the most INefficient kind of driving there is.

BFD. I'm a native.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Drivers (whether in cabs or private vehicles) tend to rush to be the first to stop at the light. Really stupid. But great for the people who change brakes and refine gasoline.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

How about an article straight from the Mayor's office?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PR- 156-07 May 22, 2007

MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES TAXI FLEET TO BE FULLY HYBRID BY 2012

PlaNYC Goal for Greener Taxis Will Reduce Emissions from Cabs By 50% in the Next Decade

Yahoo! Donates 10 Hybrid Taxis Which Will Replace Existing Gas-only Powered Cabs

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today announced that as part of PlaNYC, the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) will implement new emissions and mileage standards for yellow taxicabs that will lead to a fully hybrid fleet by 2012 - the largest, cleanest fleet of taxis on the planet. The new standards will be phased in over a four-year period and will reduce the carbon emissions of New York City's taxicab and for-hire vehicle fleet by 50% during the next decade, and will also save individual operators an average of $10,000 a year in fuel costs. Also today, internet giant Yahoo! donated 10 hybrid taxicabs to fleet operator Team Systems in recognition of New York's leadership in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The Mayor was joined at the announcement by TLC Commissioner Matthew W. Daus, Councilmember David Yassky, Yahoo! Network Division Vice President of Marketing Patrick Crane, American Lung Association President Louise Vetter, and other industry and regulatory leaders.

"In PlaNYC, we set aggressive goals for the taxicab industry and today we're going to begin meeting those goals," said Mayor Bloomberg. "Implementing tougher standards for the more than 13,000 taxis in this City will provide the same clean air benefits as removing 32,000 privately owned cars from our streets, which will significantly reduce the air pollution that causes childhood asthma. This will also decrease the fuel costs for taxi drivers, making this a win for the public and operators alike. I'd like to thank Yahoo! for their commitment to the environment and for recognizing our efforts in addressing global warming by donating these cabs."

On Earth Day, Mayor Bloomberg outlined PlaNYC, a series of 127 proposals aimed at helping New York meet the challenges of adding nearly one million people to the City's population between now and

2030, while at the same time reducing the City's greenhouse gas emissions by 30%. The Ford Crown Victoria, the current workhorse of the taxicab fleet, achieves only 14 miles per gallon (mpg). After October 2008, all new vehicles entering the fleet must achieve a minimum of 25 mpg (based on EPA city surface street ratings), and after October 2009, all new vehicles must achieve a minimum of 30 mpg. When fully implemented, the new standards are expected to reduce carbon emissions by more than 215,000 tons. Currently there are only 375 hybrid vehicles in the City's taxi fleet. By October 2008, the number of hybrids in the fleet will triple. The phase-in for the City fleet to become completely hybrid is as follows:

  • October 2008 - 1000 yellow hybrid taxicabs;

  • October 2009 - 4000 yellow hybrid taxicabs (30% of the fleet)
  • October 2010 - 7000 yellow hybrid taxicabs (53% of the fleet)
  • October 2011 - 10000 yellow hybrid taxicabs (76% of the fleet)
  • October 2012 - all yellow taxicabs will be hybrid (100% of the fleet)

"We expect these new standards will save 22 million gallons of fuel in the first year, and that is only the beginning of what we will be able to accomplish," said TLC Commissioner Daus. "Thanks to Mayor Bloomberg's bold vision laid out in PlaNYC, the New York City taxi fleet's carbon footprint will be lighter than at any point in its 100- year history. The environmental meter is running, and our efforts are paying the fare for a healthier tomorrow. We appreciate Yahoo!'s support and their gift of ten clean, green taxicabs."

It is estimated that increasing fuel efficiency from 14 mpg to 30 mpg will save the average taxi operator more than $10,000 per year. The new fuel efficiency standards will be accompanied by clear guidelines for evaluating the vehicles emissions performance, and for new vehicle specifications that will ensure both passenger comfort and driver safety. Wheelchair accessible taxicabs being brought into service will be exempt from the new fuel economy requirements.

"In the face of climate change, the old ways of doing things are no longer good enough. Mayor Bloomberg's PlaNYC is an absolutely essential step toward reversing course on climate change and air quality, and I will work as hard as I can to help turn the Mayor's plan into reality," said Councilmember David Yassky. "I applaud Mayor Bloomberg for acting now to turn New York City taxi cabs from part of the problem into part of the solution. New York City's 13,000 taxi cabs will still be yellow on the outside, but soon they will be green on the inside."

As part of its "Be a Better Planet" program, Yahoo! donated ten hybrid Ford Escape taxicabs to operator Team Systems. The cabs will be used to replace gasoline-only powered Ford Crown Victoria vehicles, saving tens of thousands of gallons of fuel over a taxicab's service lifetime, and reducing carbon emissions by more than 16 tons per vehicle each year. The vehicles being donated today get approximately

36 mpg (city streets). Yahoo! kicked off the "Be a Better Planet Challenge" in Times Square last week.

"Yahoo! applauds Mayor Bloomberg's aggressive PlaNYC initiative to build a greener, greater New York City," said Patrick Crane, vice president of marketing, Yahoo! Network Division. "As a company focused on protecting the environment, we found it only fitting to award New York with a fleet of hybrid taxis as part of our 'Be a Better Planet' campaign, which gives people across the country specific ways to take green actions in their hometowns. We challenge other cities across America to follow New York's example as Yahoo! searches for the greenest city in America."

"Putting more clean cabs on New York City streets is an important step in our fight to improve air quality, especially for the one million asthmatics in our city," said Louise Vetter, President and CEO of the American Lung Association of the City of New York. "By turning our yellow cabs green, we can put New York City miles ahead on the road to clean air."

In addition to the PlaNYC speech on Earth Day, New York City hosted the historic C-40 Large Cities Summit last week. During a keynote address to the Summit on Tuesday, Mayor Bloomberg announced that New York is joining the Climate Group, and on Wednesday he announced that New York City would participate in an initiative sponsored by the Clinton Foundation to reduce carbon emissions from buildings.

MEDIA CONTACT: Stu Loeser/John Gallagher (212) 788-2958

Reply to
mrv