(OT) Clutch Master Cylinder on my BMW 3 Series

I have a '94 BMW that has started having a VERY random problem where the clutch pedal falls to the floor when I go to use it. I put my foot on the pedal, and it simply falls to the floor. I can put my toe under the pedal and pull it back, and then it works again for many dozens of applications, when it falls again.

The return spring holds the pedal up okay, and what seems to happen is that when I get past the part of the travel where the pedal is pushing the piston in the MC, that's when the pdeal falls. It falls so fast that it could be described as beinig sucked down. I have never felt this behavior before in any of the dozens of cars that I've driven over the several decades of driving. I don't need to get into a flame war, but it's likely that I've driven more different makes and models of car and truck than anybody on this board -- my Dad was a Used Car dealer when I was a kid, and I've driven literally hundreds of different cars. The point is that I have a very broad base of expereince to call on, and have never had a fluid-based clutch system behave like this, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm inclined to go with a failure in the clutch master cylinder as opposed to a broken clutch fork. My reasoning is that a broken physical part would cause a constant fatal problem, not a transient annoyance that is easily overcome and that allows "normal operation," after getting past the annoyance.

What do you think, bad MC or something else?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sounds like a bum clutch slave cylinder. I don't know about BMW's but a slave cylinder R & R is fairly easy. Unbolt from the bell housing, remove the fluid line with a flare nut wrench, install the new cylinder, add fluid, bleed.

With a broken clutch fork, the pedal would feel fine or even a little easy to depress but the clutch would not disengage; completely different symptoms.

Reply to
Ray O

My experience is that the slave always leaked to the outside, but that's not happening here. I guess a slave can have an internal leak, just like the master will have.

I'll investigate the slave.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland