Semantics of the word investment...

I've learned a very important rule by the Rural Hicks of America. According tot he RHA, you cannot "invest" in a car.

*laughs*
Reply to
Mr4701

If you'd open a dictionary, you'd find two definitions of the word "invest". One of them is "to purchase", and most people don't use the word "invest" when they discuss buying a car. Most people apply the word "investment" to describe stocks, bonds & homes.

Get over it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I hear people use the terms of investing in a car all of the time. The RHA needs to know that just because a word has one meaning that it does not mean it does not have others.

Get over it!

Reply to
Mr4701

People who use the word "invest" to describe buying a car are just being cute. Ignore it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or, they sell cars.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Right. Or, they're about to buy the kind of car you only buy when you like to get it in the ass with a Dremel tool. Like an old "collector's" Jaguar.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

of investment (noun)form plural: investmentsexpenditure of money or effort for future benefits; authorization

Reply to
Mr4701

Definition of investment (noun)> form plural: investments> expenditure of money or effort for future benefits; authorization>

Yeah. I saw that. But common usage is a factor in the meaning of words, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Either that or they are trying to sell the car.

When they use it this way, you should ignore it also. You should already be aware that they are selling you something and are not going to be your advocate.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

> Definition of investment (noun)>> form plural: investments>> expenditure of money or effort for future benefits; authorization>>

Yeah but common usage is not the only definition... and hammering someone for that is childish at best.

Reply to
Mr4701

I don't trust a car salesman.. In fact, I feel sorry for people who go to one with a soft heart. They look for weaknesses.. I don't buy the "I am your friend" shit...

Reply to
Mr4701

Almost always true. The exceptions are classic cars worth far more now than when new, even factoring in inflation.

Reply to
witfal

>> Definition of investment (noun)>>> form plural: investments>>> expenditure of money or effort for future benefits; authorization>>>

Define "hammering" in this context. How many messages indicate hammering?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom