Word of Warning

Anyone who doesnt keep there vehicle on the road and doesnt fill out there SORN thing will be recieving a letter through the post about now,

someone in work sent the Sorn off last year and thought nothing more of it, today he recieved a summons for not telling them about it, even though he definatly did, and its on a moped lol that sits in his garage and doesnt even go.

So even if you got a moped etc make sure you SORN it, or make sure they recieve you SORN through the post, cus apparently you dont get no conformation saying you have sent it.

The poor guy is worried now, so we are writing him a letter to DVLA explaining what has happened.

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

I did - I handed it in at the post office and got a receipt, and then about 3/4 weeks later I got a letter through the post from the DVLA confirming it was received.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

The same here, I've always sent any correspondence to do with the DVLA via recorded delivery, for the sake of a few extra pennies it just seems like common sense. Who knows, if a few million people do the same thing it might make their life that bit more difficult if someone has to sign for every piece of correspondence they receive :0)

Reply to
Ivan

Yes, when I posted mine in to the DVLA for our kit car I did not get an acknowledgement or receipt and ended up phoning them to confirm. This year I took it to the post office where they scanned the bar code on the tax reminder then issued a printed receipt. Two weeks later I had a letter from the DVLA confirming the cars status.

Reply to
Gio

Yes, when I posted mine in to the DVLA for our kit car I did not get an acknowledgement or receipt and ended up phoning them to confirm. This year I took it to the post office where they scanned the bar code on the tax reminder then issued a printed receipt. Two weeks later I had a letter from the DVLA confirming the cars status.

Reply to
Gio

I've done it recorded delivery or the post office give you a receipt for £0.00p :)

Reply to
dojj

I've sent a few items by "Signed For" and then been told that for bulk mail users it is just dumped in the sack with everything else and never signed.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Surely not getting no confirmation means that you *do* get a confirmation :)

Anyway, you should do. I got one when I SORNed the Rover.

Reply to
Lordy

Yes, a fund paid into by people who use the road.

The person paying a tax should decide how it's spent ? lol

No, the Government funding allocated to be spent on roads goes on roads.

Ah, I see. How can anyone argue with such conclusive logic :)

Reply to
Lordy

Nom raved thus:

:: If 100% of your Road Tax was used for roads (instead of the current :: 10%) then the NHS/Police/Education/Everyone would suddenly have a :: HUGE shortfall. Your other taxes would have to go up plenty, to :: cover the billions of pounds that you've just removed from the :: system !

Then tax appropriately. Reduce the road tax to £16.50 a year and introduce taxes for the other stuff, when people use them. So if you have no kids, or they go to a private school or whatever then you don't pay an 'education tax', for example.

Lol, I get private health care for my wife and I as a benefit from my employer, so we'd only use the NHS in an emergency (or for a couple of days recently when our son was born). So any other operations or treatment we need is covered by this. But the Inland Revenue counts this as a taxable benefit, so I'm in effect directly paying the government *not* to use a service...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

I didn't. I sent the form off to the right place, etc, but took photos of the signed form and emailed dvla to say what I had done in case the letter went missing (there being a threat of strike action and my posties being distinctly Daley at the best of times). I never did get confirmation, but they emailed me to say they'd done it on the computer so I doubt there's any risk there.

Reply to
Questions

What would that achieve ?

The net result ends up being the same amount of money in the pot. But parent's taxes (education tax) would go up astronomically, and they wouldn't be able to afford it.

Yes, as you should be. The NHS is payed for by everyone. Whether you choose it or not, is upto you. But if you didn't pay for the service, then my costs would go up, to cover the non-payers like you.

Reply to
Nom

Nom raved thus:

:: Yes, as you should be. :: The NHS is payed for by everyone. Whether you choose it or not, is :: upto you. But if you didn't pay for the service, then my costs would :: go up, to cover the non-payers like you.

That's fairer then, yes?

Reply to

Nope.

Reply to