Alloy Wheels - A Word of Warning

It may be that all other subscribers to this newsgroup may be well aware of the following information but I certainly wasn't.
It recently became needful to remove all the wheels from my alloy
wheeled VW vehicle. Vehicle was jacked, axle stands inserted and all fasteners removed. This was the point at which progress ceased! I could not budge any of the wheels. The solution was to "thrash" the wheels on their external faces with a rubber mallet in order to break the corrosive bond between the hub locating boss and the wheel. Corrosion occupies more space than metal and in this case all clearance had been taken up by this means. It took considerable force of hammer blows to release the bond and I was very glad I was not trying to achieve a wheel change with a puncture, in pouring rain/ snow. It would not have been possible to remove any of the wheels using purely muscular effort!
All the wheels have now been cleaned up on the locations and a light smear of lubricant applied against further problems of this nature.
The vehicle was five years old and it was the first time the wheels had been removed.
Hope this may save someone from the same discovery in an emergency situation.
Regards

If you had EVER rotated your tires, this would never have been a issue.
I have always lubed the hubs on all my vehicles.
On 8/21/2013 6:24 PM, SnoBrdr wrote:

Yep, tires should have been rotated on a regular basis--that's good maintenance practice. I use anti-seize on my wheel to hub interfaces.
FWIW, this problem happens with ALL wheels, not just alloy ones. Steel wheels will rust fast and need to be beaten off as well. For some vehicles (with steel wheels) we've had to use a six lb sledge hammer to get the wheel loose--dog help the person who needs to change a flat in the middle of nowhere when that happens.
I recommend rotating tires either with each (six month) service or annually if the vehicle is not driven much.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

No big deal: Loosely ("hand-snug") install the screws (bolts), lower car back on the ground and rock it back and forth and sideways with the weight on the wheel. Works with a flat tyre as well as an inflated one.
Corrosion is more likely between dissimilar metals.
--
/"\ Bernd Felsche - Somewhere in Western Australia
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
On 8/26/2013 12:42 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:

I have seen them so 'stuck' that even that didn't work!
--
I'm never going to grow up.