87 Camry - replace Catalytic Converter

Hi Folks:

Has anyone on this type of car needed to replace the Catalytic Converter ? for this car, the catalytic converter lies close to the engine manifold.

My car failed California smog check and Cat seems to be culprit. If you have replaced this .. can you give me an idea on how big a job is this .. and how much this should cost (ballpark figure) ? I do understand cost varies from place to place and mechanic to mechanic.

I may be able to get assistance of upto $500 toward repairs from state smog program .. so trying to figure out if it is worth a shot trying.

Thank you.

Reply to
techtrainer

Are you just guesing its the cat, wrong move.

Reply to
ransley

No .. this was the mechanic's suggestion, that may be the cat. I will take it to a certified smog test/repair place .. and since I know it will fail, I was trying to get ready for the expense. BTW .. I did receive quotes ($450 parts+250 labor=3D$700 from dealer, $602 from AAA car care plus repair place, and $588 from a certified smog repair place). All are high .. and will only venture if state approves all $500 I am allowed. This of course, is assuming it is the cat .. if not, I am sure the cost will be lower. Thx

Reply to
techtrainer

Good bet he's not checked for a second opinion. . 1999 Camry CE with

1683k miles and original cat. Was told 4 years ago my tie rods were gone at one place but other passed inspection. Finally changed them last year at local garage. Beware of unscrupulous dealers!
Reply to
norm46

Thanks .. much appreciated. In my case above quotes are only for reference as the work can be done only by state-certified shops. As long as they get me in below $500 I am fine with it.

Reply to
techtrainer