92 Camry Speedo Not Working

Threaded View

1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control stopped
at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the transaxle (this
car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and I replaced it with a
new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not working-ugh! Did I waste
$400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+ kilometers on it.

Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

Isn't there a mechanical speedometer drive CABLE in there?

Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

No, just a wire connected between speedo and speed sensor

Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

I'm not positive on your particular setup but almost all speedos and cruise
controls are electric controlled. Is it possible the speed sensor took a
fuse out when it went? Are you sure you got a good connection on the plug
and did you use dielectric grease on it?
Some sensors ground through the mounting and require a good cleaning on the
mounting surface. Some models use two speed sensors, one for ECU and another
for speedo/cruise. On an OBDI system both sensors could be out without
causing a fault code.
HTH, davidj92

Re: 92 Camry Speedo Not Working

suggestion: check speed sensor signal to backside of ecm www.alldata.com
will provide you with wiring data for your vehicle 24.95 a year subscrition
fee check signals at ecm connector you may find the problem there or by
following wiring diagram the speed signal may be routed through the dash
before going to the ecm .and problem may be in circuitry behind dash
...definately a signal problem and may even be an ecm problem .....toyota
computers do fail more over lexus computers i see more of but its mainly
just a blown capacitor in the ecm and is easily repaired http://ecmsplus.com
cruise
the
another