92 Camry Speedo Not Working

1992 V6 LE Camry speedometer stopped working, also cruise control stopped at the same time. I removed the sensor on the top of the transaxle (this
car is a 5 SP) and tested it. It failed the test and I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. The speedo is still not working-ugh! Did I waste $400.00 ? BTW the car has 400,000+ kilometers on it.
Jimmy_0h wrote:

Isn't there a mechanical speedometer drive CABLE in there?

No, just a wire connected between speedo and speed sensor
Jimmy_0h wrote:

I'm not positive on your particular setup but almost all speedos and cruise controls are electric controlled. Is it possible the speed sensor took a fuse out when it went? Are you sure you got a good connection on the plug and did you use dielectric grease on it? Some sensors ground through the mounting and require a good cleaning on the mounting surface. Some models use two speed sensors, one for ECU and another for speedo/cruise. On an OBDI system both sensors could be out without causing a fault code. HTH, davidj92
suggestion: check speed sensor signal to backside of ecm www.alldata.com will provide you with wiring data for your vehicle 24.95 a year subscrition fee check signals at ecm connector you may find the problem there or by following wiring diagram the speed signal may be routed through the dash before going to the ecm .and problem may be in circuitry behind dash ...definately a signal problem and may even be an ecm problem .....toyota computers do fail more over lexus computers i see more of but its mainly just a blown capacitor in the ecm and is easily repaired http://ecmsplus.com