97 Camry Tail light and Brake light problems. Anyone else had same problem?

Hello all I had to change out a RH Inner taillight lens on my moms 1997 Camry LE. The one that is mounted on the deck (trunk) lid. Now the LH and RH Inner taillights are not working. But when I put the car in Reverse and the Backup lights work and those taillights come on, but if I close the deck lid down about 6-10" the taillights go out. If the deck lid is all the way open the lights work. If I shift back into park the taillights go out. I don't see a separate Ground wire anywhere. If there is a short in the wiring it doesn't make sense to me that the backup lights have to be on to power the taillights. But a broken wire would explain the lights going out when the deck lid is lowered. Also the 3rd brake light in rear window not working could be a burn out bulb I'll check tomorrow. Anyone else had this problem? I am stumped. I don't have a Service manual for this car and I haven't found one for sale on Ebay. The corner taillights and brake lights work fine, but the ones on the trunk do not. Anyway I am open to suggestions and I would appreciate it very much. I saw a similar post from a few months back but I thought I'd ask again. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Homer

Follow the wiring from the tail lights to the hinge and strip[ back the covering. There's a ground wire broken in that bundle.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Sounds like you have a bad ground. Go through all the connections, especially where the lampholders are grounded to the body. Make sure that any corrosion is cleaned up.

Any time you have a light, or set of lights, quit working when another light is turned on, the problem is a bad ground. Instead of grounding directly to the chassis or ground lead, the current is going to ground through another lamp. When the power is applied to that other lamp, the ground path is lost and the first lamp goes out. Simple....

Reply to
Greg Bourne

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1