96' Front Engine Mount replacement

I have read a couple of posts on this subject but was hoping someone could give me some additional advice. I plan on replacing the front engine mount in my 96 4 cylinder automatic Camry. I purchased the Factory Service Manual from Toyota but there is suprising little information on how to replace it.

The process seems straight forward.

  1. Support engine
  2. Remove 3 bolts securing insulator to the front crossmember
  3. Remove bolt on top of insulator connecting it to the bracket.

However one of the bolts, the one closest to the radiator, securing the insulator to the crossmenber appears to be screwed in from the bottom. Do I need to put the car on some ramps and remove the plastic engine cover to access this bolt or can I do it from above without jacking up the car?

Any other advice or hidden gotchas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Adman

You're right about the front bolt; you'll have to get it from the bottom. You'll also need a way to lift the engine. The way we do it in the shop is place a block of wood under the engine (right on the trans bellhousing ususally works), then drop the car (while on a lift) onto the wood until the engine raises a few inches. It really is easy, and I suppose you could get the same thing done with a floorjack. By the way, the factory manuals are crap. Their diagnostic processes suck, they aren't organized well, and they are generally of little help. I usually turn to AllData before I crack one of those things open, and I work at a dealer. Consider a subscription to AllData or grab a Chilton if you are into the DIY stuff.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks for the response. I thought this was going to be a simple job but know I'm starting to reconsider. All I have is a floor jack and some ramps. Should I attack the front bolt first by putting the car on the ramps loosening the front bolt and then drive the car off the ramps to support the engine and then remove the remaining bolts?

I have read some other posts that the bolts tend to be hard to loosen any suggestions?

Reply to
Adman

Yeah, the bolts are definitely on there good. I use a 1/2" impact gun to get them off. Barring that, I would go with a two or three-foot breaker bar to loosen the bolts. You can remove all three bolts without anything happening, the engine rests ontop of the center brace, so it won't go anywhere. Take them off in any order you like. If you have a floorjack and can get the bolts loose, I would try putting a peice of wood between the jack and the engine and jack the engine up a few inches until the mount clears the brace. Should work.

Reply to
qslim

Kroil is always a good idea for stuck bolts. An air gun is very nice to have. check Harbor Freight if it is only for occasional use. Personally, I've found the factory service manual to be very useful, but have used it for the instructions (diassembly) more than for diagnosis.

Reply to
Daniel

Thank you qslim and Daniel for the replies and good advice. I really appreciate it. I was planning on tackling this project this weekend but the forecast for Dallas is cold and rainy so I may have to postpone it.

I've already bought the part from Autozone. I know it is not OEM but it was half the price. Thanks again!

Reply to
Adman