Adjusting the timing after changing the timing belt

I went to the dealer 3 weeks ago to change the brakes. They told me at

63000 miles that I should change the timing belt. I was not prepared for $500 how much they wanted for that. Last weeked I went to my mechanic and he changed it for $220. I asked him if he will adjust the timing using the strobo light and he said that is not necessary, there are some marks on the engine and they just have to be aligned. I read in the maintenance manual that you need to use the strobo light. Yesterday unfortunately I noticed that the car doesn't start like before; I have to keep the key turned on for about 4 second to start. Now I have the following questions: 1-my mechanic cut corners not using the strobo adjustment? 2-can I do it myself (I used to do for my old Ford Taurus; I had the manual with the whole procedure and the strobo light) 3-where can I get the instructions (on the net) how to make the adjustment

Thank you so much

Mark

Reply to
Mark22

Sounds like you and the mechanic need to clarify the difference between cam timing and ignition timing. When chenging the timing belt, you use the marks he described. They have to be exact. If you are one "tooth" off on the timing belt, the timing of the valves opening will be off resulting in loss of power. The strobe light is used for setting ignition timing. Now the distributor rotor is driven by the end of the exhaust camshaft, so if the cam timing isn't right, the distributor timing can also be affected. If the ignition timing was set correctly for a new timing belt, as the belt ages it can stretch slightly alterting the ignition timing. If it was reset, then you need to reset it again with the new timing belt. If not, then the new timing belt should put the ignition timing right back where it belongs. It you want to check it yourself, you need to take a paper clip and connect - I'm guessing here, you should double check a manual first - TE1 and E1 (?), the check engine light on the dash will flash, then you've disabled the computer ignition advance and can check with the timing light. I you just had the timing belt changed, and the engine's not running as well, chances are, the work was done improperly. That mechanic should also be able to quickly and easily confirm correct ignition timing. Here's a clue. If he checks ignition timing and it is off, the timing belt is most likely off also.

Reply to
Daniel

If you have a timing lite check it as Dan said, I cant believe a mechanic would not put a light on it it takes 5 minutes, Also a good idea for anybody to do as belts stretch retarding timing loosing you power and Mpg, Mine was off by 4 degrees and milage was down dy 6 mpg, timing is so often overlooked

Reply to
m Ransley

I went back to the mechanic and explained the problem. He first changed an engine mount (I think is called like that-a rubber thing) that solved most of the rough shaking. After that he checked again the timing belt, he said that even installed another new one to make sure that it wasn't the belt the culprit and he said that everything it is ok but he can't explain the problem that still exists, delay in starting. I just checked today the fuel consumption (I haven't done this in a year) and is not good, 16m/1 gal (60% city+40% highway). Should I go to the dealer to have the codes checked? Thank you.

Reply to
Mark22

Did he check the timing with a light and the proper terminals jumped. Have you had it on a scope on that also checks exuast emissions. Is it a

4, alot of miles, is 02 sensor original, . 16 is bad a 4 on 60% highway I do 28 - 29 in summer, worse in winter. My 90 is down now on milage I found a gas leak..How are plug burning, condition tells alot. Have you ever changed the differential oil, i use Mobil synthetic trans fluid it helped. There are alot of small things that add up, your mechanic sounds like a hack if he can`t find them. Last spring I was down to 22 did everything and went to 29, are brakes dragging? At 16mpg it should be easy to find the issues, it could be alot of small things.
Reply to
m Ransley