Camry vs. Accord

I'm contemplating buying either a Camry or (Honda) Accord within the next year or so. It doesn't need to be new. I'd consider a certified used car -- see the next paragraph. Any comments on the advantages and disadvantages of each car? How would each stack up to the other, in your opinion?

Also, what are your general feelings about buying a certified used vehicle, and specifically a Camry from a dealership? Should I be just as careful of the purchase as if it were an as-is purchase of a used car that hasn't been certified? Would certified Toyotas carry their original warranties?

Thanks.

Reply to
chm1

I've observed the same thing. Seems like dealers make more money on used car than on new cars.

carry

Reply to
Art Begun

I recently bought a '98 used Camry.

I found, in the state of Texas, there are a LOT of "wholesalers", people who buy the used cars from dealers and individuals and then re-sell them. I've been told there are a lot of these dudes in California too.

Most of these guys are dishonest and just want to dump the car, they know nothing about the history of the car or how it was maintained. However, they put deceptive posts in the classifieds such as "1 owner, great condition, well maintained, records available" (when they actually have NO records). You can usually spot them because their asking price for the car will be lower than Blue Book by $500-1000 at least.

Anyway, after A LOT of searching, I finally found an individual who was the first owner, who maintained the drive train and engine reasonably well.

I had the car's engine checked out by a Toyota mechanic who pulled the valve cover and checked for sludge (he found none, said it was in good condition). I suggest, whatever car you buy, you have the same done. Also, have him smell the transmission fluid to see if it smells burnt (means it wasn't changed when it should have been).

Even though the engine and the transmission were OK, the previous owner did not really take care of other things like tires, the body (it didn't look like it had been washed in years!), and alignment.

If you're buying a used car, make sure the engine is in good shape and that the transmission fluid has been changed every 30k mi. Also, drive the car and see if it shifts smoothly, pulls (alignment or tire problem), if there is any shake in the wheel at *highways speeds* (balancing or tire problem), and make sure the body paint is in good shape and the interior is acceptable.

Also, sometimes you can tell if a car has been in accident (and the owner might be lying about it) if the doors don't shut properly or the gap between the doors/body frame isn't even all the way down.

I know that you asked about Camry vs. Accord, but hopefully this information will save you some hassle whatever used car you buy.

Finally, you can check classifieds for free by looking at:

and
(Classifieds, your city, cars, etc).

Thanks! TR.

Reply to
John

I bought a toyota certified solara but i bought it on ebay so got it for lot less than what the dealers were giving it at that time....i think though what matters more is: if u care about warranties...buy a camry that is still under factory warranty -- helps....though a certified car will give u powertrain warranty till 100K miles...so depends if u drive a lot or not...(i don't think i will ever reach 100K miles in 6yrs at the rate i drive!!!)

factory warranty is good to have...my car's driver side power window's regulator blew out or sth. but the car was under the 3/36K warranty and all repair costs were covered.

good luck.

PS: in the name of certified cars dealer's might charge a lot more...

chm> I'm contemplating buying either a Camry or (Honda) Accord within chm> the next year or so. It doesn't need to be new. I'd consider a chm> certified used car -- see the next paragraph. Any comments on the chm> advantages and disadvantages of each car? How would each stack up chm> to the other, in your opinion?

chm> Also, what are your general feelings about buying a certified used chm> vehicle, and specifically a Camry from a dealership? Should I be chm> just as careful of the purchase as if it were an as-is purchase of chm> a used car that hasn't been certified? Would certified Toyotas chm> carry their original warranties?

chm> Thanks.

Reply to
Not me!

I am going through the same thought process right now.

Camry Pros:

Simply a bigger car. Sits a little higher off the ground

Accord: Well, in Texas all Toyota's are sold through Gulf States toyota. (A distributor) I would guess this makes toyotas in Texas about $2,000 more expensive than anywere else outside of Gulf States. So, the Accord seems to be much, much less expensive.

So, if I buy the Accord over the Camry it will be because of Gulf States. I think I prefer the Camry hands down over the accord.

Just bought a Honda Element for my wife last night. It is not inconceivable that I may just get one for myself instead of a sedan.

Reply to
Douglas K. Fejer

I've owned my 1988 Camry V6LE for the past 13 years and I have been VERY happy with it. Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to :(

Reply to
Iona Camry