Check That Differential!

A while back, there was a posting about a 4 cylinder Camry where the differential seized up requiring an $ 1800 repair bill. Diagnosis was that it ran low or dry because of fluid leaking past a seal into the transmission.

I believe I have just verified that this does happen. My 4 cyl. "99 Camry had the transmission fluid drained and refilled by the dealer at 24,000 kilometers and 48,000 kilometers and both times I was told that the differential did not require service yet. ( Canada is classified as "severe service but we're on the mild West Coast). At 72,000, I decided to do the transmission myself, mainly because the transmission was reading overful and I put this down to careless dealer work. I refilled with about

0.5 liters less than I took out and the level then read correctly. Like the dealer, I didn't do the differential.

Now, at 96,000 its time again and, once again, the transmission is reading overfull. Checked the differential first, can't feel fluid through the Check/Fill Plug, have to add 0.7 liters (about 45% of capacity) to top it up. This, I'm sure will be about the same amount the transmission is overfull!

No leaks on the ground, and no coolant loss.

I imagine replacing this seal would be pricey, so I intend to drain and refill transmission AND differential every 24,000 kilometers. This us what the Severe Service schedule calls for, but I had no idea it was needed to ensure that your transmission doesn't overfill and your differential run dry!

Owners beware , if you or your dealer skip checking that differential!

By the way, I had skipped it before because I don't like getting that far under the car to try and loosen the Differential filler plug. Found though, that the filler plug is a bit tight but easy to get at from above, using a breakerbar and socket; also refilling from above.

Allan

Reply to
Allan

However, in the SIX cylinder 99 Camry, is the differential filled separately from the transmission? I have been told, previously, that it is only the 4 cyl. 99 Camrys that have the differential fill separate from the transmission. What about separate drain plugs in both the 4 and 6? Or is their just one in the Six?

Reply to
Sharx35

Allan, just to be sure what you think is happening,...is actually occuring,..check the differential level. It will be worth the effort. I just measured how much oil was needed to top the diff up,...or drain it and measure how much came out.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Haynes 97-01 Camry Manual shows all of these models, 4 and 6 cyls', having seperate differentials with seperate fill and drain plugs.

99 and later Lexus ES300 do not.
Reply to
hbuck

"Lisa" wrote: > >by "Sharx35" Oct 5, 2005 at 05:41 AM > > >However, in the SIX cylinder 99 Camry, is the differential > filled > >separately > >from the transmission? I have been told, previously, that it > is only the > 4 > > >cyl. 99 Camrys that have the differential fill separate from > the > >transmission. What about separate drain plugs in both the 4 > and 6? Or is > > >their just one in the Six? > > > Haynes 97-01 Camry Manual shows all of these models, 4 and 6 > cyls', having > seperate differentials with seperate fill and drain plugs. > > 99 and later Lexus ES300 do not.

If your serious about correct information, get the Factory Repair Manual, I have them for all my vehicles. If your differential has a fill plug, then it fills from the plug, if it does not have a fill plug(just a drain plug), it fills from the transmission.

Reply to
noodlerooney

On some models the plug is almost impossible to see as it is up on the side.

Reply to
m Ransley

"" wrote: > On some models the plug is almost impossible to see as it is > up on the > side.

I have a 2000 Solara SLE V6, differential fills from transmission, no fill plug just drain plug. The fill plug is not that hard to find if you have one, I mean, it is located on the differential.

Reply to
noodlerooney

from the transmission? I have been told, previously, that it is only the 4 cyl. 99 Camrys that have the differential fill separate from the transmission. What about separate drain plugs in both the 4 and 6? Or is their just one in the Six?

Reply to
Hopkins