1998 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder

I have a 98 Camry CE 4 cylinder that just hits 120K miles. I bought it at

90K miles. About a week this problem started, when I am driving I hear a whistling noise, it gets lighter and faster as I accelerate in speed, it is coming from the rear and gets louder when I apply the brakes. Could it just be brake pads??

Also, I have a few other questions, I didn't know if I should do different posts or not.

1) Should I use synthetic? I did on my last oil change because the kwik-lube said that was the best for high mileage cars.

2) I just got new struts on the front and I hear this popping rattling and a local place said I need new strut mounts now. Does this sound right?

3) The driver window comes up slowly... What Can I do if anything?

4) I got some of the engine treatment you put in your gas is that good? Also what about a engine flush? My dad has said hell no to it, that it will cause things to break up and create a problem.

Any idea's and thoughts would be most appreciative. I can't afford a new car so I have to make this one last.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
JOSHUA YOUNGBLOOD

your noise sounds like break wear indicators and they are already scoring the rotor , get them checked now.

1 synthetic is good 2 ? 3? I have same problem, probably need a 350$ motor 4 Gas treatment is basicly alcohol, it absorbes water so it can be burned , good for bad gas or cold temperatures 10 and below.. engine flush Forget it , it could mess up your motor
Reply to
m Ransley

Use Chevron Techron in gas to clean injectors. Forget motor flush - just use good grade (NOT Havoline) dino oil and change every 3-4k miles (avoid lowend FRAM filters too). Rear of your CE has drums not discs (doesn't it?) - hence shoes vice pads. Apply silicone spray to window track to ease movemnt of glass.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I think it does have drums. So those are called shoes?? Do you concur with m Ransely about it being those that are wearing out hence the sound?

Reply to
JOSHUA YOUNGBLOOD

What's the big deal? Jack up the car, remove a rear wheel, remove the drum, and inspect the shoes! This isn't heart surgery.

Reply to
Philip®

Use a jack stand for safety - and avoid breathing the brake dust.

Very good safety reminder from "A".

Reply to
Philip®

My 98 Camry has discs AND drums in the rear wheels.... The discs are for normal braking. The drums are for the parking brake only.

Reply to
Jan Siepelstad

Yeah right....

Reply to
Rex

Jan... WHEN you are joking, at least put a smiley emoticon in the sentence. The drums are used during all braking and for the Parking Brake. You wanna test that notion of yours? Jack up one rear wheel, release the Parking Brake, apply the brake pedal, and with the brake still applied have someone else attempt to turn that elevated rear tire.

Class over.

Reply to
Philip®

Offcourse the wheel will nut turn... because the disc is braking!

Reply to
Jan Siepelstad