Filtering Efficiency of toyota Oil Filters?

Are the Toyota oil filters any better than typical aftermarket ones such as Fram or purolator standard filters which are 94 percent efficient? I know that some premium filters are 99 percent efficient. I have used Fram filters and wonder if the extra cost of premium filters is worth it.

Reply to
mwebsurfer

Not a fan of Fram oil filters, but their ATF kit works great. In the longer term PureOne or Bosch Filtech (Bosch now owns Purolator) are excellent choices and should reduce engine wear a lot more than the typical 25 micron filters. In fact, some Bosch Filtechs now look like reboxed PureOnes as a result.

I've always used the $5.99 Purolator PureOne

It has the highest multi-pass efficiency (~98%) and more importantly filters more finer particles than the typical 25 micron. I googled one time this guy found no particles above 15 microns passed the PureOne. But these are backyard rig tests so believe what you will.

There are no recent filter studies people point to. But if Toyota can ship oil filters all the way from Thailand, sell them at coupon discount prices and still make more money than a Made-in-USA filter, then I am staying away from Toyota filters. You can't ship manure that cheaply can you?

An old oil filters page: http://m> Are the Toyota oil filters any better than typical aftermarket ones such

Reply to
johngdole

Up here in Ontario the Toyota dealer where I get my oil changes done only charges $6.99 (Canadian) for a Toyota oil filter He charges me $15.00 to change my oil and I supply the Mobil 1 5W30 for him to do it as well

I cant buy Mobil one as cheaply here in Ontario as I can in Niagara Falls NY , USA

Gray cap here in Ontario at Walmart sells for $37.00+change(Canadian)

+14% taxes,and in Niagara Falls Ny it sells for $27.00+ and change +8.25% taxes.US dollars.)

A BIG difference especially with the Canadian dollar almost at par with the US dollar.

Reply to
mred

See

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed,

Looks like the OEM filter was Denso

Perhaps you can get comparable Denso filters from

ACAR

This is a question that has been bandied about for several years in the groups.

Fram has a really bad reputation, but it is not certain that its filters are all that bad. Nevertheless, I stay away from them.

If you change your oil ever 3000 miles, and you drive 18000 miles per year, that is only 6 oil changes. Oil filter price differential is all but negligible.

I would like to see a REALLY comprehensive test series and evaluation on the various filter manufacturers product, but I dont think we are likely to see that soon.

Reply to
<HLS