Speaking of Oil Bath Filters

My dual Kadrons came replete with matching crimped paper filters. Not nearly as good as an oil bath for providing clean air for the engine to breathe. Is there an oil bath option for this kind of carb setup?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I am not aware of anything available off the commercial shelf.

I have had a notion of making a single duct running between the carbs that would locate a single filter in the middle. I was thinking of using that to include a warm-air intake, but the idea might also allow construction of an oil-bath filter as well.

Sounds like an interesting project!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Never seen any. You seem to be pretty unhappy with those carbs. Why not go back to stock and be done with 'em.

Reply to
jjs

Unhappy? Not in the least -- they were a great improvement over the centermounted Solex 40IDF the Wonderbus came with. Did I say somewhere that I was unhappy with these puppies?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sorry. Misunderstanding on my part from an ealier post in which you said, " Who the heck makes this Kadron carb?". But to answer your question, I did run across a site in Germany that had a single, large center filter for dual carbs, but they were probably for big Webers.

Reply to
jjs

Ah -- easily misunderstood. Nah, I like the carbs, but when I went to see if I could find some diagrams of their internals I ran into a washed-out bridge on the information superhighway. I began to wonder if Kadron was a real company, or what. I was too ignorant to know that Kadron apparently provides kits (manifolds, carbs, linkage, etc.) made up from other manufacturer's parts. I was confused by the usage: "Kadron carbs" is how most folks put it. Probably easier to say than "dual Solexes with [manufacturer] manifolds and [manufacturer] linkage."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

No, and considering the fact that the kads are located in teh corners rather than in the middle of the engine, they move around more as the engine vibrates and car tilts from side to side in turns, off-roading, 4 wheel skids, jumps... (oh, I'm getting carried away here ;)

Point is, the oil level would be more disturbed in the corner carbs than what it is in a centermount configuration.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you drive in very dusty conditions, you could use air filter oil on the filter elements. They trap smaller particles when they have oil on them. Sadly, they then also get dirty much faster. This all assuming your filters are the type that can be oiled. With air filter oil (Yes there is such oil :) )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Veeery common misconception :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

how can you explain the 'Kadron' exhaust by (for sale) bug has? :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Sunspots.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The original oil bath filter was over near the battery, wasn't it? (71 bus). Not likely to be off-roading in the wonderbus.

They had some ducting to bring the output of the filter to the input of the carb. Would have not been inconceivable for someone to make similar ducting to pipe the output of some oil bath filter to the inlets on dual Solex-Kadrons.

I'll look for the Zerk fitting on my filters :-)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

AHH! So it was, good point! Silly me forgot, I threw away 5 bus air cleaners this winter too..

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You . . . you . . . awful, awful man, you!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Jan, are you rewriting the laws of physics? Could you emphasize some your point where oil acts different in center mount air filter as in=20 corner mount air filter.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I betcha he's saying that the further away from the centerline of the bus, the greater the up-and-down swaying. After all, if you stuck a pole

10 meters out the side of the vehicle, the end of that thing would be describing far greater vertical movement when driving over anything but perfectly level ground than the end closest to the bus.

But I could be wrong.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
ilambert

Jan, are you rewriting the laws of physics? Could you emphasize some your point where oil acts different in center mount air filter as in corner mount air filter.

Reply to
ilambert

Olli: When the vahicle is rocking from left to right, the spot that gets the LEAST movement is at the centerline of the car. The further from the center you get, the more movement you will see.

Try it with some office supplies or something :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's precisely what I'm talkin' BOOT

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I tried fiddling pair of scissors and a stapler. Drew VW logo on a rice of paper with a transparent marker and even took a photocopy of=20 my ass with our new color copier. Still no light in my head ;)

I understand that with vibration and rocking, more further away=20 from the center point of the vibration or rocking there is more = movement. However I don't see clearly why a center mount air cleaner would=20 be significantly closer to the center point than the corner mounts.

The center of engine vibration is mostly the crankshaft (and center of the transmission mount, the crankshaft). Rotational vibration is centered there. Now we just need to measure the distance from crankshaft to the air cleaner. To me it seems that if you draw a circle centered in the crank shaft and the arc goes through the center mount air cleaner, the arc will go nearby the place where corner air cleaners would be. To me that means that the amount of movement should be appox same. The direction of movement is though different. Center mount moves mostly from side to side because of rotation and corner mounted ones more like in 45 degrees angle.

Same goes to the rocking of the car by terrain. Averagely=20 the center of rotation then is quite low, near to the crank again. So same would apply. Ofcourse the center moves around between the tyres below the rear axle. Averagely the center point would be then neae the crank.

Am I making any sense? I can also be wrong.

Reply to
Olli Lammi