How to change a belt

Anybody know how to change the serpentine belt in a '02 Camry LE 4cyl? I'd aprreciate a quick tip.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What is a "serpentine belt"? Do you mean the timing belt? The accessory drive belts aren't "serpentine", and the alternator belt is easy to change. Power steering belt is also straightforward. I would say the best quick tip for the timing belt, is to remove the crankshaft pulley first to get access from beneath to the engine support brace bolts. There's a fair bit to know about this job. Try the Haynes manual for starters. They include photos and description. Nothing exceptional really, you just go step by step, but the position of the cam and crank sprockets need to be exactly right. An impact gun is helpful for the crank bolt. Good idea to change the oil seals while you're there. Water pump is also right in front of you during this process and fairly inexpensive "insurance".

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks Daniel.

I believe I am correct in saying that the latest version of Camry, 2002 - to present, does have a serpentine belt and a timing chain. The Haynes manual is unfortunately not yet published for this vehicle. It is expected to be published soon, but is yet to be shown even on their web site. I stopped by the dealer and got some tips, I'll post in a separate thread.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Changing the belt is pretty straight forward Dave, but it can be a pain on that particular model. First thing, draw out the routing on a peice of paper so you know how to get it back on. On the tensioner located near the rear, you'll see a 19mm hex head which is cast into the arm of the tensioner. There is also a 19mm bolt on a stud. You'll want to put a wrench on the cast nut and pull forward. This will releive tension and let you slip the belt off. The bolt on the stud will actually remove the tensioner from the head. You don't want that. As for getting it back on, I usually have to put it up in the air and get the belt on the crank and PS pulley from the bottom. This can be tricky if you don't have a lift, but you can also get to the side of the engine through a plastic cover in the passenger side wheel well. That's held on by two 10mm bolts. Like I said, it's not complicated, but it can eat up some time trying to fiddle that new belt on. Post if you need a hand.

Reply to
qslim

Do you mean the timing belt? The accessory drive belts aren't "serpentine"

Reply to
qslim

Thanks. I got it. I just looked carefully at how the previous belt was strung. Put it on starting from the bottom and violla! Never had to do anything but open the hood and use a 19mm socket/breaker bar.

I still think this qualifies as a serpentine belt. Right?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I coulda sworn "Dave" typ'd:

KEWL!

But I'm wondering what you use the viola for??

-Don (nitpicking as usual)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Yes, a serpentine belt indeed.

Reply to
qslim

you might consider taking a picture of the belt before removing it.

Reply to
stevie