Pricey Headlight

I recently lost the low-beam headlight on the passenger side of my 96 Camry. Checking for a replacement I was surprised to find the price at my local dealership to be $220. Is it possible to replace individual lamps (ie low-beam only)? If so, is the money saved worth the trouble? Assuming I must replace the whole thing, is there any noticeable difference between a headlight from Toyota versus "after-market"?

Reply to
camhan

Um, did you lose the actual lens (i.e., something punched a hole in the plastic), or did the halogen bulb just blow? $220 sounds like the price for a headlight assembly. Just the bulb should be a couple orders of magnitude cheaper than that, and available darn near anywhere (Walmart, auto parts stores, etc.) Just pull the bulb beforehand (or check your owner's manual) so you know which bulb you're looking for.

Reply to
Andy Hill

You lost the whole headlight assembly, or just the bulb?

Try toyotadiscountparts.com. Here is a bulb:

If you *have* to buy from the dealer, at the very least, bargain with them, knowing what "Your Price" is on the internet, plus the $8 or so shipping on orders < $100.

Reply to
onehappymadman

The lens is intact so I guess it's only the bulb. That sounds like what I need. Thanks.

Reply to
camhan

Thanks for the helpful link.

Reply to
camhan

Good thing you didn't buy the $220 assembly -- it doesn't come with a bulb!

Reply to
Daniel

Oh yeah. Then Walmart is the place to go then.

My rear tail light blew. I called AutoZone, then Pep Boys - the Boys had it for $1 cheaper than AutoZone. Then a few days after I replaced my bulb, I went to the Walmart supercenter for something completely different, and browsed the auto light section... could have saved another buck buying there instead of from Pep Boys. ;)

Reply to
onehappymadman

Trying hard not to laugh.

Reply to
jg

Its recommended that you replace bulbs on both sides as they do get weak over time. You'll find some bulbs only last a year or so (box should have projected life on it) so shop by bulb life and not cost. DO NOT touch glass surface with fingers - it will shorten its life to a month.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Be careful about those bulbs. The electronic box in the trunk that controls the dash warning light for rear tail lamps monitors resistance and is very sensitive - and also expensive to replace. I use the dealer bulbs - some of the aftermarket bulbs are really cheaply made.

Reply to
Daniel

It was a Sylvania bulb!

We're thinking of replacing our compact fluorescents in the house with Sylvania. My wife was the first to notice that their compact fluorescents produce a "whiter" light - the GE (even "Soft White") and other cheaper brands make a yellowish light, which she hates.

No problems yet on my '96 camry... knock on wood... ;)

Reply to
onehappymadman

For ordinary bulbs, I see no reason to go with stealership items.

I just read about the cost of HID lamps for some of the new cars. Now, THOSE are scary. Cadillac bulb apparently costs $370 or so, and does not appear to be available aftermarket.

Reply to
<HLS