'99 camry oily residue in air filter box....

last night the ck. eng. light came on and i checked out the air filter box and ther was some oily residue in the hose leading from the air filter box and on the edge of the air filter any thoughts??

i 'm going today to try and find out the cause of the ck. eng. light but is the oily residue the sign of a bigger problem?

mike......

Reply to
JerseyMike

Oil usualy means your rings are bad, but if you dont burn oil it look into the EGR system

Reply to
m Ransley

thanks for getting back today it's apprectiated. i went to see the mechanic i know and he coded the ck.eng light as 1135 air fuel sensor, so i put a new one in this morning. he told me that w/170k miles on the car the slight residue in the air box was nothing critical. what is the EGR system? i'll ask him about it when i bring the car in for new struts and tires in a couple weeks. if you think it's serious i'll ask the mechanic sooner. my '99 camry is the 4cyl.

i change my oil every 3,000-3500 miles and the oil on the stick is usually at or just a hair below the top full line.

Reply to
JerseyMike

Vapor or blowby gas is recirculated back into the motor to burn unburnt gas, when rings get old oil also gets recirculated. egr is exuast gas recirculation. check you Pvc valve, Oil in the filter indicates you are burning oil or possibly not recirculating the gas properly.

Reply to
m Ransley