Problems with 2004 Camry power steering pump.

Hi Toyota lovers: I'm having a problem with my 2004 Camry steering pump. The original failed at 67,522 miles and the local dealer put in a "rebuilt" unit which also failed, 17,229 miles later, outside of its 6-month warranty. Anyone having a similar problem? TIA. Roger Ootermann, Maine. snipped-for-privacy@the-wire.com

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed

Did both pumps fail for the same reason? What failed?

Reply to
Ray O

original failed at 67,522 miles and the local dealer put in a "rebuilt" unit which also failed, 17,229 miles later, outside of its 6-month warranty. Anyone having a similar problem? TIA. Roger Ootermann, Maine. snipped-for-privacy@the-wire.com

That is not a long lifespan for a p/s pump. When you say "failed" what exactly failed? A seal, internal parts, ect? You may have a problem in the steering rack. Check the condition of the fluid and if is contaminated, that is what is destroying the pump. Do you know if the system was flushed last time it was replaced?

Reply to
user